If you're in the market looking for a new mattress, informing yourself about the best mattress UK has to offer is a great start. Not only are there many options to be found at brick-and-mortar establishments, but there are an infinite amount of mattresses offered in the fragmented bed-in-a-box industry with trials. But what’s the best mattress?
New mattress models come out yearly from a growing number of brands and manufacturers. Buying a new mattress can be very difficult and confusing if you are not famili
We know that the findings from a particular study✓ imply that improving sleep in many individuals by improving mattress fit is quite possible.
We highly recommend you read our How to Choose a Mattress & Buying Guide in conjunction with this post. Be sure to browse through each mattress as they all offer unique features
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion)
|MATTRESS||TYPE||FIRMNESS||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE (excl. discount)|
|Emma Premium Mattress||Hybrid||medium-firm||200 Nights|
|Nectar Memory Foam Mattress||Memory Foam||Medium-firm||365 Nights|
|Simba Hybrid Mattress||Hybrid||Medium-firm||200 Nights|
|Brook + Wilde Lux Mattress||Hybrid||Soft, medium & firm||100 Nights|
|OTTY Hybrid Mattress||Hybrid||Medium-firm||100 Nights|
|Ergoflex 5G Mattress||Memory Foam||Medium-firm||30 Nights|
|Eve Original Mattress||Memory Foam||Medium-firm||365 Nights|
|Dormeo Octasmart Hybrid Plus Mattress||Hybrid||Medium||60 Nights*|
|REM-Fit 500 Ortho Mattress||Hybrid||Medium-firm||100 Nights|
|Tempur Original Elite Mattress||Memory Foam||Medium||100 Nights|
1. Emma Premium Mattress
Filling: Halo memory foam, CarbonFlex springs, HRX foam
Trial: 200 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, small double, double, king, super king, EU single, EU double, EU queen|
|Pros||Excellent reviews and multiple awards|
Great for most sleepers
Cover includes handles and is machine washable
We highly recommend the Emma Premium Mattress which is due to its excellent material quality and multiple awards. The Emma mattress is highly positioned in the Which? mattresses comparison table and voted product of the year. Many of these features, awards and recommendations come from 2023. These are also only regarding the Emma UK store, they have more than 10 awards throughout Europe.
Another confidence booster at least from our side was when Emma recently celebrated their one-millionth mattress being sold which is a milestone they had reached earlier than anticipated. Emma has also been named the world-leading D2C sleep brand.
Emma's product development team has conducted countless tests (using humans and testing machines), done extensive research and received and evaluated customer feedback to create their best mattress to date
The Emma mattress has an advanced 5-layer zone profile which is designed for optimal spinal alignment and body support; polyfoam base, visco-elastic memory foam transition layer, five-zone CarbonFlex springs and the top foam layer. The layers combined make it extremely durable, breathable and pressure relieving. Emma has also made it very practical by incorporating a machine washable cover and handles for easy manoeuvring.
All of this is vacuum-sealed, rolled and delivered to you in a neat box (free of charge) which you can try out for yourself in the comfort of your own home for 200-nights and if you don't fall in love with it, Emma will organise a collection and refund you your purchase amount. In the long run, Emma includes a 10-year guarantee so you can rest assured the mattress will last.
Emma is also highly rated on Trustpilot which is a great place to start your mattress research which can give you insights from current Emma mattress customers.
Mattress alternatives from Emma
- Emma Original Mattress | An advanced Emma mattress that snowballed the whole Emma range.
- Emma Essential Mattress | A cheaper mattress that is only sold through 3rd party platforms that appeals to the more budget-conscious sleepers.
- Emma Hybrid Mattress | Very similar specs to this Emma Original Mattress but with an extra layer of mini-pocket strings.
- Emma Select Mattresses | A range of Emma mattresses each with its own unique sleep technology.
- Emma Motion Mattress | A recent release of their most advanced mattress yet.
2. Nectar Mattress
Filling: memory foam, memory foam and support foam
|Sizes||Single, small double, double, king, super king|
|Pros||Exceptional trial period and warranty|
Excellent for heavy sleepers
|Cons||The cover is recommended to be cleaned manually (not machine washable)|
A relatively new brand in the UK making waves and disrupting the industry. The Nectar mattress is a very durable memory foam mattress with exceptional pressure-relieving properties. Its durability is proven by its 365-night trial and forever warranty, which is mind-boggling as there is no other mattress we have reviewed with such an offer. There is very little that can go wrong with this purchase.
The Nectar mattress is an ideal fit for anyone looking for a mattress that embodies the classic memory foam feel. Three-layer design, 2 of which are memory foam which translates to great body contouring. The top memory foam layer is their 4th generation and is said to be up to 30 times more breathable than regular memory foam. Nectar also incorporated a gel memory foam layer quilted into the cover which is engineered to independently draw heat away. Certipur certified materials used as well as FSC approved packaging.
There is no doubt why the Nectar mattress is loved by Real Homes, approved by Ideal Home and Good Housekeeping, featured in the Evening Standard as well as recommended by Expert Reviews. Thousands of customers have also had very positive things to say about this mattress, especially regarding comfort.
Finally, Nectar is the first and only mattress company in the UK that is a 100% climate-neutral ‘bed in a box’ mattress. This shows their active progress towards reducing their carbon footprint through partnering with ClimatePartner.
Mattress alternatives from Nectar
- Nectar Hybrid Mattress | A mattress with a similar design to the original Nectar but with an added mini spring layer.
- Nectar Premier Mattress | Nectar's most layered mattress.
3. Simba Hybrid Mattress
Filling: open-cell foam, up to 2,500 aerocoil® springs, high definition foam, base foam
Trial: 200 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, small double, double, king, super king, EU single, EU double L, EU queen|
|Pros||A ton of positive customer reviews|
Titanium alloy springs
EU sizes available
|Cons||The current cover is not machine washable or removable|
The trusted online mattress retailer, Simba was one of the first to roll into the UK market. Europe's most reviewed mattress in a box has over 100,000 5-star customer ratings from various independent sources including; Trustpilot, YOTPO, Google reviews and the Simba site.
T3 have given it a Best Buy and claim it is "the best mattress in the world" additionally it is also approved by Good Houseke
The 4 layer hybrid mattress with up to 2,500 conical springs adjust to your body as you sleep, ensuring a great nights rest. The combo of springs, open-cell foam technology, traditional memory foam and polyfoam makes creates a pleasant medium feel. Hybrid mattresses are known to bring the best of both worlds, support from springs and comfort from foam.
With the study of over 10 million sleepers and 180 million body profiles measured, however, this is debatable according to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). Nevertheless, this shows the extent Simba is willing to go to produce the best mattress in the UK. Simba has also brought out an app (Apple & Android) to help review your sleep performance as well as receive coaching from performance experts. This is not surprising to us as Simba have cemented their mark as an innovative sleep tech company, not just their mattresses but their pillows, weighted blankets and duvets all include some sort of advanced boundary-pushing material or technology.
Simba comes with free delivery and a 200-night trial with free returns if you’re not 100 % happy. Included is also the standard 10-year guarantee which we find to be the mean in the UK bed in a box scene.
Mattress alternatives from Simba
- Simba Hybrid Pro Mattress | A luxurious mattress Simba has to offer. With slight advancements made to the standard hybrid mattress. An additional spring layer, extra plush sleep surface and an added British wool layer.
- Simba Luxe Mattress | The most advanced mattress from Simba, with a bamboo wool layer, additional springs and now a removable washable cover.
- Simba Essential Mattress | 3 layers of just the most essential mattress layers.
- Simba Comfort Foam Mattress | A basic 2 layered foam mattress that is geared towards spare bedrooms or even those looking to save a buck or two.
- Simba Premium 7-Zoned Mattress | Also can be classified as a cheaper mattress but with zoned support in the base layer.
4. Brook + Wilde Lux Mattress
|Specifications||Comfort: soft, medium or firm|
Filling: memory foam, 2,500 mini pocket springs, memory foam, 1,000 full-sized springs and polyfoam base
Trial: 100 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, double, king, super king|
|Pros||Choice of 3 comfort grades|
Double spring layer
|Cons||Limited customer reviews|
Brook and Wilde bring something completely different to the ever so competitive online bed-in-a-box mattress industry. When compared to the other mattresses on this list, the popular Brook and Wilde Lux mattress
The 5 layered Brook + Wilde Lux mattress boasts two sets of spring layers (2,000 + 1,000 springs), wave technology, memory foam and a supportive polyfoam base. This is all covered in a hypoallergenic cover. Every detail, stitch and component is hand-crafted. They have found the sweet spot between craftsmanship and practicality.
Do you prefer a firm, medium or soft feeling mattress? Brook + Wilde
Slowly climbing the ranks with awards and approvals. The Brook + Wilde Lux mattress has been awarded a Which? Best Buy, approved by GoodHomes, loved by Real Homes and Grand Designs and featured in Country & Townhouse. We have followed them closely and the progress they have been making in a short span of time is commendable.
Service is a field where Brook and Wilde seem to pride themselves in, their mattress includes free 2-man delivery service and if requested can remove your old mattress free of charge (this may be changing). They also offer a risk-free 100-night trial so you have plenty of time to really get into the mattress and decide if it's for you or not. Finally, the Lux also comes with a 10-year guarantee.
Mattress alternatives from Brook + Wilde
- Brook + Wilde Elite Mattress | Regarded as the Lux's bigger sibling and a slightly superior version.
- Brook + Wilde Ultima Mattress | The most innovative mattress they have created.
- Brook + Wilde Perla Mattress | Natural materials combined with modern innovation.
5. OTTY Hybrid Mattress
Filling: memory foam, reflex foam, 2,000 full-sized springs and HD foam
Trial: 100 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, small double, double, king, super king, emperor, EU single, EU, double, EU king|
Side support foam
|Cons||Firmer than expected but no real cons at this price point|
The versatile OTTY Hybrid is one of the most affordable mattresses. This value-option combines the best of both worlds; the support and push back from springs as well as the comfort and cushioning from foam.
The stand out layer is the “cool blue gel” memory foam, which is designed to dissipate any heat buildup. At its core, are 2,000 full-sized pocket springs (14cm), that significantly add more spring than you would find in other hybrid mattresses. Because of these sturdy springs, it nudges this mattress closer to the firmer category.
OTTY has also included side support allowing for edge-to-edge support which is very important especially if you are looking for a mattress as a couple.
OTTY is one of the only brands to be awarded small online retailer of the year by the national bed federation – which are the most prestigious bed organisation in the UK. It has also been named product of the year by Expert Reviews and Loved by Real Homes. The OTTY Hybrid mattress is also very well received by customers which we highly recommend you briefly read through.
As with the other mattress with free trials, the OTTY Hybrid mattress is delivered at no cost to you, includes a 100-night trial and boasts a 10-year warranty to cover you in the long run.
Mattress alternatives from OTTY
- OTTY Pure Bamboo Mattress | The most recent addition to OTTY's mattress range. It incorporates advanced materials such as bamboo and charcoal which regulate temperature and create a naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic sleeping environment.
- OTTY Essential Mattress | An even cheaper version than the Original Hybrid. Made in a very similar way but with fewer pocket springs and regarded as not as firm.
- OTTY Aura Mattress | A mattress very similar to the original Otty Hybrid.
6. Ergoflex Mattress
Filling: visco-elastic memory foam, high resilience foam
Trial: 30 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, double, king, super king, EU double, EU king|
|Pros||The only mattress-in-a-box brand that has been in business longer than their warranty|
Backed by the Back Doctor (Dr Mark Craig)
|Cons||Shorter trial period as compared to other mattress brands with trials|
Here we have the only bed in a box company here in the UK that has been trading longer than their 10-year warranty period. Ergoflex in some way has paved the path that many of the other competitors have taken.
The Ergoflex mattress is engineered to be the best memory foam mattress with a very high memory foam to foam percentage. Memory foam has a slow response compression feeling with a gradual feeling. Memory foam is said to do particularly well for those who suffer from back pain or injuries. It is a great mattress for those with orthopaedic issues as per the Back Doctor which has helped Dr Mark Craig recover from his back pain. There is no wonder it has been awarded a Which? Best Buy.
It is also worth mentioning that the Ergoflex 5G is a medium to medium/firm mattress making it suitable for most UK sleepers.
The Ergoflex mattress is CertiPur-US® & OKEO-TEX® 100 certified. Manufactured to BS 5852 and BS 7177 UK Safety Standards. This shows the dedication Ergoflex is putting into the manufacturing of their mattresses.
All the layers are wrapped in a neutral white and grey cover which is made from Tencel fabric, which are fibres produced by environmentally responsible processes from sustainably sourced natural raw material. That way it is very unlikely to cause any allergic reactions.
7. Eve Original Mattress
Filling: evecomfort® foam, memory foam and polyfoam
Trial: 365 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Single, Small Double, Double, King, Super King|
|Pros||Good allrounder mattress|
Chosen as the official partner of British Rowing
The mattress giant Eve has been around for quite some time and has cemented itself as a trusted bed company in the UK. Eve differentiates itself from the rest not only by its vibrant design but also by complying with strict ISO 9001 quality standards during the manufacturing process. Eve uses foams that are sourced from NBF members and that are Certipur Certified, the cover is also Oekotex certified.
What's inside the Eve Original? a top Evecomfort® layer (which is said to be 30 times more breathable than traditional polyfoam), a middle memory foam layer and a durable poly foam base. The slow response from the memory foam is particularly good at reducing any motion transfer. The nearly 18cm base is made to give you enough support so you don't feel like you are sinking into the mattress and always maintain correct spinal alignment.
The Eve Original has been awarded a Which? Best Buy award and featured in the Evening Standard.
Standard is also a 365-night trial to truly try out the Eve Original at home and a 10-year warranty covering performance issues.
Mattress alternatives from Eve
- Eve Hybrid Mattress | Very similar to the Original Eve mattress but with an extra spring layer. This may be more suitable for those who like a bit of bounce in their mattresses.
- Eve Premium Mattress | Eves new premium range that incorporates silver strands in their cover that makes the surface antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial.
- Eve Premium Hybrid Mattress | Just as the standard Eve Premium mattress but with springs. This mattress is one to watch out for as we have noticed it making waves and getting lots of well-deserved attention.
8. Dormeo Octasmart Hybrid Plus Mattress
Filling: memory foam, octaspring® technology, pocket springs, ecocell® foam
Trial: 60 nights*
Guarantee: 18 years
|Sizes||Single, double, king, super king|
Designed for couples
Technologies used helps you stay up to 3°C cooler
Dormeo uses some of the latest sleep technologies to transform their mattresses into some of the smartest and best mattresses in the UK. The Octasmart Hybrid Plus mattress is a highly rated mattress by customers with nearly all reviews being 5 stars.
The Octasmart Hybrid Plus mattress is a Sleep Expert Top Pick for Spring 2020 claiming it's their smartest mattress ever that incorporates foam, pocket springs and Octaspring® technology to create the most complete mattress. The Octaspring® technology is the key stand out feature in Dormeo's Octasmart range. They are designed to move in 3 dimensions and are proven to be 8X more breathable than traditional memory foam mattress technologies.
Aside from the Octasprings, you will find layers of memory foam, pocket springs and Ecocell® foam. The layers are arranged to offer zoning (3 areas) that allow for your spine to take its natural shape and help it keep in alignment.
The cover is worth boasting about too, It has some of the best features and specs. It is anti-bacterial, anti-mould and anti-dust mite which creates a healthy sleep environment. It also incorporates Hundreds of comfort pockets which allow for additional air circulation.
The Octasmart Hybrid Plus mattress comes with a 60-night trial, allowing you to test it and ensure it is the one for you. To guard your purchase as time goes by, the Octasmart mattress includes an impressive 18-year warranty.
9. REM-Fit 500 Ortho Mattress
Filling: open-cell memory foam, 2,000 full-sized springs and HD foam
Trial: 100 nights
Guarantee: 15 years
|Sizes||Small Single, Long Small Single, Single, Small Double, Double, King, Super King, EU single, EU Double, EU King|
|Pros||REM-Fit is a brand that focuses its products on sleep and recovery|
Machine washable cover
|Cons||Limited customer reviews|
No mattress handles
REM-Fit takes a different approach with their mattresses by focusing their product variety on providing great sleep recovery and optimal rest. This extract is based on the REM-Fit 500 ortho model which is designed for the majority of UK sleepers facing back pain.
This 4-layered hybrid mattress includes open-cell memory foam (30x more breathable than standard memory foam), 2,000 full-sized springs, edge support and a polyfoam base. REM-Fit uses CertiPUR certified manufacturers to ensure quality is maintained in the production and final mattress product. Their mattresses are also made by an NBF (National Bed Federation) member.
REM-Fit being relatively new to the UK market have already gained Which? approval, we look forward to seeing the progress they will be making in this new market.
The REM-Fit comes with a 100-night trial for you to test with a completely free return policy if it doesn't happen to be the right mattress for you. Additionally, an impressive 15-year warranty follows your REM-Fit purchase that way you are secured in the long run.
Mattress alternatives from REM-Fit
- REM-Fit 400 Mattress | A medium- firm mattress designed to suit most sleepers in the UK.
- REM-Fit 600 Lux Mattress | As its name suggests this is their premium mattress made for those with a few extra quid to spare.
- REM-Fit Bamboo Charcoal Mattress | An affordable mattress that includes a memory foam layer infused with bamboo and charcoal.
- REM-Fit Eco Hybrid Mattress | An eco-friendly mattress with layers of recyclable foam and springs.
- REM-Fit Remy+ Mattress | A budget friendly mattress with a medium-firm feel, foam layers and an upcycled plastic cover.
10. Tempur Original Mattress
Filling: TEMPUR® comfort material, TEMPUR® support material and DURABASE™
Depth: 21, 25 or 30cm
Trial: 100 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
|Sizes||Small single, long single, single, double, king, super king, special sizes|
Developed their own trademarked material
|Cons||Customer reviews could be better|
Price without a discount
Tempur is one of the most widely known and trusted mattress brands and is considered a more premium mattress brand which would appeal to those looking to spend a few extra quid. It all started when the material "TEMPUR®" that's composed of a secret formula was developed by NASA to support astronauts during lift-off. After realising the commercial potential, Tempur was born.
Tempur offers their mattresses in 3 versions, Supreme (21cm), Elite (25cm) and Luxe (30cm) which affect not only the thickness but also the inner layers. We have chosen the balanced Tempur Original Elite version for this Best Mattress UK list.
Tempur is very discrete and secretive about the actual TEMPUR® material layers of the mattress. The Tempur Original Elite mattress is made up of a top comfort material, support material and a double Durabase™ tech layer. The combination of these specific layers gives it an all-round medium feel which is great for those not looking for any specific type of mattress but rather an allrounder.
To conclude, the Tempur Original Elite mattress comes with a 100-night trial and a 10-year guarantee.
Best Mattress UK Types & Materials
The materials used to construct a mattress can have a significant impact on your sleeping experience. The mattress type can alter the firmness, comfort, bounce and support; therefore, it’s essential to find the mattress type best suited for your preferences. Here are the most popular mattress types currently available in the UK.
- Memory Foam: This type of foam is constructed using polyurethane and is designed to use body heat to mould to the sleeper’s body. Memory foam mattresses are also known to relieve pain and pressure, which scientific research✓ has confirmed.
- Pocket Sprung: These mattresses tend to have a firmer feel and are constructed using layers of springs and coils. Pocket sprung mattresses can offer bounce and durability; a study✓ found the lack of sagging can also help maintain spinal alignment.
- Hybrid: A combination of springs and foam, hybrid mattresses can offer the best of both worlds. The foam provides a good amount of comfort, while the springs can offer support and stability.
- Latex: Natural latex is an organic material derived from the sap from rubber trees and offers a more sustainable mattress alternative. Latex mattresses can provide elasticity and support, with research✓ showing they can also reduce body pressure.
- Gel: A gel mattress contains gel in its layers, with gel-infused memory foam being a popular choice. The primary purpose of adding gel to a mattress is to increase its cooling properties.
UK Mattress Price Ranges
Due to the expansive mattress market, there is also a varied price range, with cheap mattresses going from a couple hundred to more luxury mattresses at a few thousand. Factors such as materials, sizing, layers, technology and brand can all affect how expensive the mattress will be.
Generally, traditional foam and innerspring mattresses tend to be cheaper, as they’ve been around for a long time. Mattresses containing more advanced foam, such as open-cell or gel-infused memory foam, are usually more expensive than traditional foam. Mattresses sitting at a higher price point tend to be advanced hybrid and latex mattresses.
It’s worth noting that an increase in price does not necessarily mean an increase in quality. The independent testing organisation Which? looked at 200 different mattresses. From this, four mattresses for less than £300 and eight mattresses within the price range of £301 - £500 all received a Best Buy Award. Therefore, it is possible to find good quality mattresses across most price ranges.
Selecting The Best Mattress Firmness
Mattress firmness can be largely subjective and can depend on factors such as body weight and age. With that being said, many mattress companies choose to use a mattress firmness scale to give their customers an idea of what to expect; this can be particularly useful when buying online.
- Soft: A softer mattress is usually placed around 1-4 on the firmness scale. Soft mattresses may be better suited to lighter individuals who are likely to be more sensitive to increased firmness. It’s worth noting that a study✓ found that the sinkage often found in soft mattresses can cause joint pain.
- Medium-firm: Medium to medium-firm mattresses typically land between 4-7 on the firmness scale. This mattress type tends to be the most versatile and is suited to a wide range of people. Additionally, research✓ shows it’s the best mattress type for back pain. In addition to this, PubMed.gov✓ released a paper that found mattresses that are subjectively identified as a medium-firm mattress and are custom inflated (self-adjusted) are optimal for promoting sleep comfort, quality, and spinal alignment.
- Firm: Mattresses with a firmness scale rating of 8-10 are usually categorised as being firm to extra firm. Firm mattresses are known for giving increased amounts of support and stability. A study✓ involving 3005 physicians showed that all recommended a firmer mattress for young infants.
When you're standing straight, your spine curvature should be the same as when you're lying down on your back. So if you pick a too soft of a mattress, your spine would sag. If you pick a too firm of a mattress, it would be too straight. Then you'd get back pain.Dr Milton Chua
Finding The Best Mattress For You
The concept of the ‘best mattress’ can differ based on the sleepers personal preferences and characteristics. In order to make an informed decision, it is essential to find out how the different mattress types can appeal to your individual needs.
- Heavy Individuals: A firmer mattress could be preferable for heavy people as it may be less prone to sagging under pressure. Research✓ has found that a high BMI can increase body pressure; therefore, a pressure-relieving mattress could be beneficial.
- Couples: Purchasing a mattress for couples could mean compromising by getting a medium-firm mattress or a dual mattress with different levels of firmness. Motion isolation is also key; a 2009 study✓ found that if one person moves during the night, there is a 50% chance of their partner being disturbed.
- Back pain sufferers: For individuals suffering back pain, it is recommended to find a medically approved orthopaedic mattress; however, be aware that there are many false claims surrounding the term orthopedic. Research✓ has also found that a medium-firm mattress may help reduce back pain.
- Eco-conscious: With sustainability on the rise, many mattress companies are offering more natural options. Organic mattresses often have the GOTS certification and use more eco-friendly materials. Additionally, studies✓ show that organic farming can help protect natural resources and improve smallholder’s livelihoods.
The Best Mattress UK For Sleeping Positions
As well as your preferences, your natural sleeping position can also play a part in what type of mattress is the right fit for you. Different sleeping positions can place pressure on different body parts; therefore, finding a balance between support and cushion can be key to getting a comfortable nights rest.
- Side Sleepers: Being the most popular sleeping position, there should be a wide range of mattresses for side sleepers available. The mattress must provide enough cushion on areas such as the hips and shoulders, especially as research✓ has found links between shoulder pain and side sleeping.
- Back sleepers: It is recommended to avoid mattresses that are too soft as they can cause sagging, and the back may dip into the mattress, leading to spinal misalignment. Studies✓ recommend this sleeping position for infants as it can help to prevent SIDS.
- Stomach sleepers: Ensuring correct spinal alignment when sleeping should be a priority; therefore, stomach sleepers should avoid firmer mattresses as they may push the hips and pelvis upwards. The Mayo Clinic has also stated that it can put a strain on the back and should be avoided if possible.
Trial Period And Warranty
As online shopping is becoming increasingly popular, most mattress companies are offering a trial period so you can test the mattress and return it for free if you’re dissatisfied. Free trial periods can vary from 30 nights to 100 nights, with many big brands now offering 200-night trials. If you want to test the mattress throughout all seasons, some mattress companies will even offer a 365-night trial.
Aside from the trial period, most mattress companies will also offer a warranty or guarantee. These time periods typically range from 3 to 10 years, with some companies boldly offering forever warranties. It is recommended to read the terms and conditions surrounding trial periods and warranties, especially regarding any damage.
Best Mattress Certifications
When purchasing a mattress, there can be a lot of overwhelming information and unfamiliar terminology. However, it can be helpful to learn about the different certifications as they are often tied to the safety and legitimacy of a product.
- CertiPur Certified: Made without heavy metals or allergenic dyes, as well as decreased VOCs (volatile organic compounds) emissions.
- NBF Approval: NBF stands for The National Bed Federation. They can approve and give advice based on their rules and regulations in the NBF code of practice.
- BS Number: A BS (British Standard) number is a code that can be applied to mattresses to show they meet British standards. For example, BS 7177:2008+A1:2011 represents flammability and BS 1425-1:1991 represent cleanliness.
- GOTS Certified: Materials used must include 70% organic fibres and practice ethical and organic production to get this certification.
- Oeko-Tex: Tests products to limit the use of harmful chemicals to ensure the safety of the final product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best mattress?
This entirely depends on the individual’s personal needs and preferences. When selecting a mattress, it is advisable to consider your sleeping position, body weight, age and what level of firmness you prefer.
What type of mattress is best?
For those who prefer a softer feel, a foam mattress could be a good option. Alternatively, a pocket sprung mattress can provide a firmer feel. Hybrid and latex mattresses tend to be a little more flexible and can offer comfort and support, depending on the construction.
What is the best mattress 2020 UK?
Here in this list, you will find the best mattresses of 2020 and 2021. This best mattress page is regularly updated to help you find the right mattress for you.