The Emma Premium which used to be called the Emma Original Hybrid Mattress is the latest and most innovative mattress from Emma, Emma calls it their ‘Most advanced mattress yet’ this is aside from their most high-tech mattress, the Emma Motion.
Emma state that the Emma Premium Mattress has enhanced support, increased breathability and exceptional comfort, you can see this mattress as an upgrade from their standard Emma Hybrid Mattress.
Emma is an industry leader that continues to grow, develop new technologies and revolutionise the sleep industry. Emma has sold well over 1,000,000 mattresses and is considered the worlds leading direct to consumer sleep brand. The amount of mattresses sold speaks to quality and customer satisfaction in terms of the brand.
With the success of other Emma mattresses, we can say that the bar has been set high by Emma themselves.
Will the Emma Premium Mattress live up to Emma’s reputation in the industry? Let us explore the mattress and all its features in this Emma Premium Mattress Review.
|✓ Variable sleepers|
✓ Most people (weight wise)
| • Heavy|
• New to market
• Time to expand
(Summary in Conclusion with Important Considerations)
Mattress Performance Test
1. Pressure Relief
Our tests showed good results overall in all sleeping positions with just a slightly higher pressure around the midsection of the sleeper’s body. This is normal thanks to the presence of the springs in this hybrid model, giving some extra support to the sleeper.
|• Side Sleepers||➮ Distributes pressure well. The zoned spring layer helps with taking some of the added pressure off the hips and shoulder area.|
|• Back Sleepers||➮ The mattress is supportive enough to comfortably sleep on your back without having too much pressure on your hips.|
|• Front/ Stomach Sleepers||➮ It provides enough support to comfortably sleep on your front/stomach while maintaining a proper spinal alignment.|
2. Temperature Regulation
If you are looking for a mattress as a hot sleeper the Premium could be the model for you. The addition of bigger springs in this mattress seems to help with breathability.
The mattress also features a foam layer that is designed to promote a cooler temperature - the Airgocell top layer. Most of the heat dissipated and the top temperature cooled down in a matter of seconds.
3. Spinal Alignment
In order to promote correct spinal alignment, the mattress needs to be able to give you the support you need, where it’s needed. this is especially important for mattresses designed to help with back pain.
The Emma Premium comes with excellent support for sleepers in any position thanks to the combination of the zoned spring layer and the foam layers. This leads to great results in spinal alignment and to being able to sleep both on your back and on your front without feeling like your hips or stomach is sinking too deep into the mattress.
4. Motion Isolation
It is common knowledge that all-foam mattresses tend to isolate movement better than pocket-sprung or hybrid mattresses. This is why we were surprised to find that, despite the rather bouncy feel of the mattress, little movement was detected on the right side even when bouncing quite intensely on the left.
Couples looking for a mattress should however keep in mind that the springs in this mattress could transfer a bit more motion from your partner compared to Emma’s other models.
5. Edge Support
The spring layer of the Emma Premium is surrounded by foam walls that are designed to keep the springs together and to prevent the edges of the bed from sagging.
Our tests showed better results in this mattress compared to the other mattresses that come in a box, which speaks for its durability.
Emma Premium Mattress Firmness
The Emma Premium Mattress is rated as a medium-firm feel mattress. This is an ideal firmness level targeting most sleepers.
As firmness is subjective and depends on many factors after researching we found some sources online to regard the Emma Premium to be slightly firmer than Emma advertises. Our test revealed that there was no significant firmness increase when compared to the Emma Original, however, it did feel more supportive.
Considering that this is a mattress in a box, we suggest spending a few days allowing your body to get used to the mattress, you should feel the pressure-relieving properties thereafter or return it if not.
Emma Premium Mattress Construction & Certifications
The Emma Premium Mattress features 4 foam layers and a single spring layer. The top 3 layers are thinner foam layers and sit above the springs, while the last foam layer is a bit thicker and sits below the springs as the base of the mattress.
The foam layers used are; 1. Breathable and adaptive Airgocell® foam, 2. Pressure-relieving visco-elastic memory foam, 3. Supportive and stabilising cold foam. These layers have individual properties that we will cover in the layers section. We will also cover the springs in the layers section to follow.
The Emma Premium Mattress is proudly made right here in the UK. This means that it also complies with the strict local regulations surrounding manufacturing. These regulations include aspects of health, safety and the environment.
Emma Premium Mattress Foam Layers
- Top Comfort Layer - The first layer is also known as the comfort layer and is made using Emma’s very own, trademarked, Airgocell® foam. This foam is designed with more air pores than traditional foams. This design was engineered to reduce heat throughout the night which could make this a mattress option for hot sleepers. An additional feature of this comfort layer is that has quick pressure responsiveness helping the layer conform to your body’s movements. This layer was ultimately designed to produce a cool, soft and cloud-like feeling, while still allowing the other layers to work on support and pressure relief.
- Pressure-relieving Memory Foam Layer. The second foam layer is the pressure-relieving memory foam layer which is made out of visco-elastic memory foam. This layer is designed with slow responsiveness, which means that it distributes the pressure equally to contour your body. The purpose of this layer is to provide relief. Memory foam mattresses are known for retaining heat and therefore heating you as you sleep. By positioning this layer below the top, cooling layer, Emma has reduced the effects of overheating from this layer. The most crucial part of this layer is that it transitions the feel of the mattress. The soft top and the springs to follow are on opposite ends of the scale, this layer brings a smooth transition from comfort to support. This was designed to allow you to feel each layer smoothly.
- Cold Foam Layer - Just in case the first cooling layer wasn’t enough, Emma has introduced another cooling layer. This layer isn’t made out of the Airgocell® foam though, instead, it is more of a supportive and stabilising layer. This cold layer allows the heat from the above layer to escape through the springs below. Similar to the above layer, this layer was designed as a transition layer, smoothening out the feel of each layer and making the mattress feel more like one piece.
- Zoned Pocket Sprung Layer - Now we get to the support of this hybrid mattress, the zoned pocket spring layer. The Emma Premium Mattress features a layer of full-sized pocket springs, standing at 12,5cm tall. This layer is breathable and supportive. Each spring is encased in a wrapping that allows each spring to respond individually to your movements. The spacing between the springs and the space created when you move allows for greater air-flow through the mattress, this gives the spring layer its breathability. The pocket springs are encased by foam walls, these were designed to not only ensure that the springs remain in place but also to create added tension across the whole surface of the mattress. This allows you to sleep closer to the edge, while still receiving the benefits of the layers without a roll-off feeling.
Emma Premium Mattress Cover
The cover of your Emma Premium Mattress has been split up into 3 parts; the top cover, side cover and bottom cover. The top cover and side cover is made from 100% polyester. Polyester is very durable and has the added benefit of being hydrophobic. It simply means that it dries very quick.
The bottom cover is made from 89% polyester and 11% polypropylene. The added material was designed to give the cover extra resistance to abrasion, which is perfect for the base of a mattress.
The Emma Premium Mattress includes 4 mattress handles. These are in place for rotation from head to toe every once in a while. This keeps the layers even in their response to you as the sleeper. This hybrid is a single-sided mattress, so you should not flip it over, only rotate.
The top cover is removable and machine washable at 40 degrees celsius. This ensures that your contact point with the mattress can always remain fresh.
We will always suggest using a mattress protector to better protect your mattress and cover in the long run. Since this is an Emma review, we can suggest the Emma Mattress Protector as an ideal place to begin.
How Thick Is The Mattress?
The Emma Premium Mattress is 25cm deep, so, your standard bed sheets should fit.
Emma Trial and Warranty
The Emma Premium Mattress comes with a 200-night trial period, double the mattress with a trial standard of 100 nights. This risk-free trial allows you to return your product within the 200 night time period and receive a full refund. Simply contact customer support and they will handle the rest. This is why Emma call this service ‘hassle-free returns’.
You might be wondering why you would need such a long trial period. Well, as Emma state “it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to adjust to a new mattress” many other experts believe it can take from 30 - 90 days to break into a new mattress.
This is why Emma has extended their trial period (from 100), to allow each customer more than enough time to truly feel the mattress and ensure it is the one for them. You are free to test the mattress in your home and if you aren't satisfied, the hassle-free return policy is here for you. Returned mattresses are either recycled or donated to charities like the British Red Cross and Debra.
The Emma Premium Mattress also comes with a 10-year guarantee. This protects your purchase against the passing of time. We would suggest that you read the T&C’s carefully when buying a mattress, this will tell you exactly what is covered by policies and for how long.
Emma Premium Mattress Delivery
The Emma Premium Mattress is vacuum-sealed and packed in a box measured at 42 x 42 x 110cm.
From our research, we can say that it is best to unpack your bed-in-a-box as soon as possible. We have heard from some customers who claim that leaving a mattress in its box for more than 2 weeks can affect its expansion. This is particularly the case with hybrids.
Emma makes use of DPD, UPS and Rhenus to ship their products straight from their warehouse to your front door. UPS will even send you a tracking code the day before the package is to be delivered.
The box includes a manual or how-to guide and a handy unboxing tool.
Additional Services Offered by Emma
Emma offers an old mattress removal option for a fee (this may be changing and be unavailable during certain periods). This allows you to kill two birds with one stone so to speak, having your new mattress replace the old, literally. This option is only available when purchasing a mattress*
Emma also offers a Saturday Delivery slot, suited for those who work long hours during the week. This delivery is also at an additional cost and will be done between 9 am and 12 am. Keep in mind this service is not always available.
- Debit/Credit Card
- DivideBuy (0% installments)
Emma Premium Mattress Price and Sizes
We try to make these reviews as extensive as possible to provide you with more information and insight into the product. This we feel helps you make an informed decision, however, the price of the product is still the most crucial aspect.
Below we have listed the standard price and sizes of the Emma Premium Mattress.
These are the standard prices from Emma. If you’re looking for the best deal then make sure you check out our discounts page.
|SIZE||DIMENSIONS||PRICE (excl. discount code)|
|Emma Premium single size mattress||90x190x25 cm||£699|
|Emma Premium double size mattress||135x190x25 cm||£899|
|Emma Premium king size mattress||150x200x25 cm||£1,059|
|Emma Premium super king size mattress||180x200x25 cm||£1,259|
If you are looking for a cheap mattress, you can also take a look at the Emma Essential Mattress which is their budget option that is only sold through third parties. Additionally, you can compare the Emma Original vs the Emma Premium.
Emma Premium Mattress Customer Reviews
As the Emma Premium Mattress has been recently introduced to the market you won't find too many reviews but as soon as there are we will be sure to update this review.
- If your mattress isn’t feeling quite right comfort-wise, then Emma has a service for you. They will send a free soft or firm comforter to help get the comfort just right. This is a special service and is not always available.
- Emma has opened up in Ireland
Emma Mattress FAQ's
Emma mattress how long does it take to expand
It is not uncommon for the Emma mattress to expand instantly. However, it can take about 2-6 hours to expand to around 95% and up to 2 days to fully expand.
Should I Buy an Emma Premium Mattress?
To conclude this Emma Premium Mattress Review, we can say that this mattress is best suited for those looking for:
- A hybrid mattress from a popular bed-in-a-box brand
- A mattress designed for all sleeping styles
- A hybrid with full-sized springs