Welcome to our Emma vs Simba mattress review, today we compare two of the biggest names in the UK bed-in-a-box industry, Emma and Simba. We at The Mattress Guide regard both mattresses highly however there are some differences you should be made aware of in order to make a better decision.
This Emma vs Simba comparison is based the best awarded Emma Original mattress and the ever so popular Simba Hybrid mattress.
COMPARISON TABLE AT THE END
Although we cover the main differences in this Emma vs Simba comparison we would highly recommend looking at our full detailed reviews below:
Emma vs Simba Mattress Construction
This part of the comparison looks at all the layers including the cover. It is important to understand the materials used as these produce different effects and depending on your unique sleeping needs you will need to be made aware of these.
The Emma mattress cover is made from 100% polyester which is a very versatile material. The 3D meshed cover allows for better air circulation for those hotter nights. Emma had also made the cover very practical by including 4 handles for manoeuvring and making the cover machine washable for easy maintenance.
The Simba cover is an impressive 700g hand-knitted cover which gives it that extra comfort. Just as the Emma cover it is also 100% polyester with a diamond stitching pattern to allow for more breathability and also has handles. What's great about the Simba cover is that it is hypoallergenic making it great for those prone to allergies.
Verdict - Both covers are impressive and made with comfort in mind. For us, a mattress cover that is machine washable is a huge bonus as it just makes cleaning a mess as easy as possible. That way you can always be sure to keep your mattress cover fresh on a regular basis. However, we do have to add the hypoallergenic properties of the Simba is a great deal especially if you are inclined to having allergies.
Materials & Layer Comparison
Now when we compare the Emma and Simba mattress we have to keep in mind we are comparing a memory foam mattress with a hybrid mattress. The Emma Original mattress is foam only mattress whereas the Simba Hybrid as its name suggests is a mix of traditional springs and foam layers.
*Emma also has a hybrid mattress available take a look at our Emma Hybrid mattress review for more info.
The Emma Original mattress is made up of 3 simple layers:
- Airgocell® - This is Emma's secret weapon when it comes to cloud-like comfort and breathability. This trademarked layer is an open-cell polyfoam which has greater air pockets than regular polyurethane foam.
- Memory foam - Memory foam has the ability to relieve the pressure with its slow response. This layer conforms to the shape of your body to create constant comfort in any position.
- Base layer - This is where most of the support comes from and what is great about this layer is it is also castellated which means it has cut-outs in certain regions to keep your spine always aligned.
Inside the Simba Hybrid mattress, you will find 4 unique layers which are very similar to those from Emma:
- Simbatex® layer - Similarly to the Emma the Simba also has an open-cell top layer which is great for sleeping cool.
- Mini pocket springs - The mini springs are conically shaped to allow for better contraction and slightly more support. A UK king size mattress will have about 2,500 of these springs.
- Memory foam layer - Used as a transition between the upper and lower levels and to contour the shape of your foam.
- Polyfoam base foam - Adds aid in the form of support and also includes zoning areas to allow for more sinkage for extruding areas like the hip and shoulder area.
Verdict - From the layers we can agree they are very similar in terms of the materials used and the order of them. The only main difference is the Simba mattress has an extra minipocket spring layer for added bounce (slightly as they are mini). Please remember generally the more bounce a mattress has the more motion transfer it also has so you will need to find the right fit for you and your situation. Trade off between motion transfer and bounce.
Comparing Firmness & Feel
As Emma is trying to make the perfect mattress for all sleeping types they have opted to create a medium feel mattress. On our virtual scale, we have rated it about a 6.5/10 with 10 being the firmest.
With Simba also made to appeal to the majority of UK sleepers a 6.5/10 on the firmness scale is given to the Simba Hybrid mattress.
Verdict - As both brands are online it is wise to create a firmness that would suit the majority of sleepers whether they are a side, back or variable sleepers. As both are regarded medium feel mattresses it is important to take note of our comments on the bounce and motion transfer trade-off which will affect the feel.
Emma vs Simba Comparison
For this Emma vs Simba mattress comparison review, we wanted to make your life a bit easier and provide a simple table comparing the major aspects.
|Cover||(100% polyester) with handles and machine washable||100% polyester with handles|
|Top Layer||Airgocell® (3cm)||Simbatex® Open-Cell (4cm)|
|Layer 2||Memory Foam (2cm)||Conical Pocket Spring Layer (2cm)|
|Layer 3||Polyfoam Base (19cm)||Memory Foam Layer (3,5cm)|
|Layer 4||NA||Polyfoam (15,5cm)|
|Max Weight (2 people)||20 stone or 130kg per person||18 stone or 114kg per person|
|Delivery||Free, 2-5 business days||Free, 1-3 business days|
|Best Emma Discounts Compilation||Best Simba Discounts Compilation|
|Our Review||Emma Rating||Simba Rating|
Should I Buy an Emma or Simba
Although both mattresses are very well received by the public there are some slight differences but if you are not sure both offer a 100-night trial so nothing can go wrong if you find you are 100% satisfied with your purchase.
We have also created our top mattresses in the UK right now if you want to head on over there to see where the Emma and Simba rank.
We Would Recommend Buying an Emma Mattress if you are Looking For:
- A balanced memory foam mattress.
- A mattress with excellent accolades and awards.
- A durable and easily maintained mattress.
We Would Recommend Buying a Simba Mattress if you are Looking For:
- A hybrid mattress made from a variety of unique layers.
- A well-rounded mattress made from high-quality materials.
- A mattress created from data of millions of sleepers.