If you suffer from any conditions such as acid reflux✓, sleep apnoea✓ or sinus pressure✓, you may find it hard to get to sleep from time to time. This kind of discomfort can sometimes be resolved with the right pillows that are placed in the right position to keep certain parts of your body elevated as you sleep.
Wedge pillows are typically a good choice for those who need to sleep at an angle. For example, women expecting a baby often choose a pregnancy wedge pillow. Additionally, wedge pillows can be used by some pregnant people to ensure they are comfortable as they sit in bed. Here is a list of our recommended wedge pillows and their benefits.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion)
|WEDGE PILLOW||DIMENSIONS (L X W X H)||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|Putnams Acid Reflux Bed Wedge||76.2cm x 61cm x 15.2cm||NA Nights |
|Kally Sleep Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow||80cm x 66cm x 12cm||14 Nights|
|Supportiback Bed Wedge Pillow||60cm x 64cm x 18cm||NA Nights|
|Milliard Bed Wedge Pillow||68.5cm x 63.5cm x 19cm||NA Nights|
|ADEPTNA Therapy Bed Wedge Pillow||51cm x 46cm x 20cm||NA Nights|
|NOFFA Memory Foam Wedge Pillow||62.5cm x 46cm x 32cm||NA Nights|
|GAX Orthopedic Wedge Pillow||51cm x 46cm x 28cm||NA Nights|
1. Putnams Acid Reflux Bed Wedge
|• Recommended by the NHS|
• CertiPUR certified
• 2-year guarantee
|• Those looking to reduce acid reflux|
• Sleepers who struggle with snoring
• People who want a choice of materials
Putnams is an award-winning company based in Devon and focuses on helping both sleep and quality of life. Their Bed Wedge is specifically designed to help alleviate acid reflux and is recommended by the NHS. The wedge comes in multiple sizes and comes with a 2-year guarantee.
The angle of the Bed Wedge can help prevent the acid from your stomach from travelling upwards and therefore help reduce acid reflux. Aside from this, the pillow can be used for various medical issues such as heart problems, respiratory illnesses and snoring. Inside the pillow, you can choose from standard materials, memory foam or latex. The memory foam can help with pressure relief, and the latex provides cooling and temperature regulation.
The Bed Wedge has received hundreds of positive reviews, with many noting its effectiveness at reducing acid reflux, as well as its ability to provide sufficient support. The pillow has also been recommended by the Oesophageal Patients Association and has been CertiPUR certified, meaning it's free from harmful chemicals.
2. Kally Sleep Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow
|• Medium-firm feel|
• High-density memory foam
• 14-night sleep trial
|• Those with allergies|
• People experiencing heartburn
• Back and side sleepers
For those who suffer from acid reflux, this product from Kally Sleep could be beneficial. It has been designed to support your head and torso as you rest. According to Kally Sleep, it can help to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn, allowing you to have a restful sleep.
To help with acid reflux, the angled wedge shape uses elevation and gravity to reduce symptoms that you may be experiencing. It has been designed to offer both shallow and steep support, meaning that you can also use it for your legs. The materials consist of high-density memory foam and a breathable polyester cover. The cover has also been designed to ensure it is hypoallergenic and protects against bacteria as you sleep. It has a medium to firm rating and is suitable for both back and side sleepers.
This product from Kally Sleep comes with a 14-night sleep trial, alongside free delivery on orders over a specific amount. Customer reviews for the Acid Reflux Wedge pillow are very positive, with many noting that their acid reflux is now under control as a result of the pillow. Others pointed out that the pillow is a good size and can be moved around to suit different sleeping styles.
3. Supportiback Bed Wedge Pillow
|• Silver-Bac™ thread|
• Ergo-Bounce™ technology
• Bamboo cover
|• Sleepers seeking muscle support |
• Those looking for pressure relief
• Hot sleepers
The Supportiback wedge pillow can be found on Amazon, and it offers a range of qualities that make it suitable for those hoping for some muscle support or relief from acid reflux. Supportiback claims that their pillow provides 47% less tension and 12% more muscle support than a standard wedge pillow.
According to the brand, the 36-degree head positioning helps to open the airways and reduce pressure. Inside the wedge pillow, you'll find germ-killing Silver-Bac™ antibacterial thread and Ergo-Bounce™ technology, which responds to the sleeper's weight. Their Ergo-Pur foam has been third-party tested to ensure no petrochemicals are located within the pillow. On the outside of the wedge pillow, you'll find an organic bamboo and cotton cover, which helps to wick away sweat and add more breathability.
When you buy this wedge pillow, you'll get a 100-night sleep trial that allows you to test it out for yourself. Based on customer reviews, this product is high-quality and can support a range of different body types. According to reviews, the majority of customers have felt more supported with the help of this pillow.
4. Milliard Bed Wedge Pillow
|• Body Active memory foam|
• Doctor recommended
• Machine-washable cover
|• Those seeking spinal alignment |
• Sleepers looking for breathability
• People suffering from back pain
The Milliard Wedge Pillow is designed to help relieve acid reflux, snoring, and back pain symptoms. This product features a memory foam layer to ensure your body is supported regardless of the way in which you are sleeping.
Within the wedge pillow are two layers of comfort, including both the polyurethane foam base and 2 inches of Body Active memory foam. The foam can contour to your body shape and help to offer support and spinal alignment. According to Milliard, this product has been designed to help with a range of medical issues and may also help to relieve back pain with its memory foam layer and angled design. On the outside, you'll find a machine washable cover that has been designed with a breathable and cooling material.
This multi-use pillow can also be used for positioning on a chair or elevating your legs outside of the recommended use for your back in bed. You can purchase this product directly from Amazon, where you can find some excellent reviews, with many highlighting the support and comfort of the pillow.
5. ADEPTNA Therapy Bed Wedge Pillow
|• High-density memory foam|
• Cooling channels
• Support foam layer
|• Those experiencing back and neck pain|
• People looking to correct their posture
• Pregnant women
The ADEPTNA Comfort Memory Foam Therapy Bed Wedge Pillow has been designed to help you sleep more comfortably and relax while sitting. This product from ADPETNA can be purchased directly from Amazon. There, you'll find some excellent 5-star reviews from happy customers. Some noted that it helped reduce inflammation in their shoulders, and it hugged their body where they needed it.
This wedge pillow contains high-density memory foam, so you can expect it to mould to the shape of your body. The memory foam hugs and contours to your body and ensures any movements are adapted to. Inside this wedge pillow, you'll find a firm foam block that offers both cushioning properties and support where you need it most. This wedge pillow has been designed to include cooling channels between the layers that help wick away body heat. The cover comes with a zip to ensure you can throw it in the washing machine.
ADEPTNA recommend that this wedge pillow can help to relieve symptoms of both back pain and acid reflux. It is also suitable for pregnancy, as long as it is used properly. It is suggested to wait 48 hours for the pillow to regain its full size after opening.
6. NOFFA Memory Foam Wedge Pillow
|• S-shape design|
• Velvet cover
• Oeko-Tex certified
|• Those who enjoy reading in bed|
• People who prefer a firm feel
• Sleepers seeking added support
The NOFFA Reading Pillow has been designed for a range of different purchases. This wedge pillow can be used in various positions, including when you are lying down, when you need to rest your back and when you need support under your legs. The shape of the pillow means that you can adjust it to suit your needs.
This pillow has a slightly more ergonomic design and has an S shape that can offer support for the head, back curve and waist. Inside of this wedge reading pillow, you will find high-density memory foam. This memory foam can provide firm support and prevent you from sinking. When it comes to washing this product, you can easily remove the outer cover with the hidden zipper and place it in the washing machine. The blue velvet cover is designed to be breathable, soft and durable.
This wedge pillow is available for purchase on Amazon, and it has some great reviews. Many noted the impressive S shape, while others stated that it was comfortable and supportive. The pillow has been Oeko-Tex and CertiPUR-US, meaning no harmful chemicals have been used in manufacturing.
7. GAX Orthopedic Wedge Pillow
|• 40-degree angle |
• Firm feel
|• Those on a budget |
• People seeking improved circulation
• Sleepers prone to snoring
The GAX Orthopaedic wedge pillow is angled at 40 degrees to ensure a comfortable and relaxing sleep. It can be used for both the back and your legs and can be used by those experiencing acid reflux, heartburn and circulation issues.
This wedge pillow has been created with firm foam that has been designed to remain rigid to allow it to retain its shape for an extended period. The foam can also offer enough support to elevate the head and keep the airways open, which can help promote natural breathing and prevent snoring. On the outside, you'll find a removable cover that is made from 50% cotton and 50% polyester. If you want to keep it clean, you can easily place the cover in the washing machine.
You can purchase this product directly from Amazon. Hundreds of customer reviews have noted its impressive qualities, including the thickness, support, and comfort grade. Others have pointed out the large size and how the angle is suitable for relieving pain and pressure points.
Choosing A Wedge Pillow
A wedge pillow can come in various sizes with different features to offer. They can be used in different positions and are popular amongst pregnant women and those suffering from acid reflux or sleep apnoea. As there are so many options available, it can be helpful to understand the different features to find the pillow that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Materials: Most wedge pillows are made from memory foam; this can help with pressure relief as the foam is able to contour to your body. As memory foam pillows tend to retain heat, hot sleepers can look for wedge pillows with special bamboo covers or gel-infused foam, both known for having temperature regulating properties.
- Firmness: Due to memory foam density, many wedge pillows have a medium-firm to firm feel. Side sleepers may prefer a medium-firm for extra cushioning, whereas back sleepers may enjoy a firm feel for added support.
- Size: Wedge pillows come in a variety of sizes to suit their different purposes. Larger wedge pillows that weigh more may be more effective at staying in place on the bed. Additionally, some wedge pillows can be larger than standard pillows, so it’s worth checking the measurements against the size of your current bed.
- Incline: A higher incline can be good for acid reflux as it can prevent the acid from rising. Wedge pillows with a higher incline may also help with snoring as they can open the airways. A reduced incline should be sufficient if you’re using the pillow for lower back pain or as a leg pillow.
- Price: Wedge pillows can be more expensive than standard pillows due to the memory foam material and distinct shape. Prices can range from £20 to £50 for a standard wedge pillow, with more expensive options going up to £100.
- Trial: A trial period can be beneficial if you want to test out the pillow without fully committing. Most wedge pillows sold on Amazon do not have a trial time. However, pillow companies can offer a trial time of up to 100 nights.
Benefits Of A Wedge Pillow
A wedge pillow can offer many benefits and could be a cheap and comfortable alternative to other treatments. While you should always consult a medical professional if you are experiencing any severe health issues, a wedge pillow could help relieve milder symptoms and problems affecting your sleep quality.
- Acid reflux: Sleeping with your body elevated can help prevent acid from rising. A study✓ found that a foam wedge was able to decrease the length of time in which their participants experienced acid reflux.
- Pressure relief: Wedge pillows can be placed under the legs and knees to provide pressure relief and help with lower back pain. The contouring features of memory foam can also help provide pressure relief.
- Blood circulation: Placing the wedge pillow under the legs and knees can encourage better blood circulation as it can help prevent blood gathering in the legs and feet. Research✓ has found that elevating your legs can also help with deep vein thrombosis.
- Sleep apnoea: The incline of a wedge pillow can help your airways to open up and reduce snoring and sleep apnoea. A study✓ involving 52 participants found that a mild incline of 7.5° can significantly improve symptoms related to obstructive sleep apnoea without disturbing sleep quality.
- Posture: Whether you’re relaxing on the sofa or working from home, a wedge pillow can provide back support that may prevent you from hunching over. Maintaining correct posture can also help reduce back pain.
Referring to heartburn symptoms, “among lifestyle changes, elevating the head to 30 degrees can be effective. I've had success with patients using a wedge pillow.”Dr James Mojica, Harvard-affiliated Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
Wedge Pillow For Acid Reflux
Acid reflux✓ is a common issue and is estimated to affect 25% of British adults. Acid reflux occurs when the stomach contents and acid rises up into the oesophagus. While acid reflux can happen to anyone, there are some identifiable causes that could increase the likelihood. This could include drinking alcohol, weight gain, smoking or being pregnant.
If you experience acid reflux, you may also get heartburn - a burning sensation caused by the acid travelling in the wrong direction. You may also experience a bad taste in the mouth, bad breath and coughing.
A wedge pillow can help prevent acid reflux as the head elevation makes it more challenging for the acid to rise through the oesophagus. A study✓ on nocturnal gastro-oesophagal reflux (chronic acid reflux) found that bed head elevation reduced acid exposure and gave participants some heartburn relief. Further research✓ also found that head-of-bed elevation reduced acid reflux symptoms after six weeks and concluded it could be a safe and cheap alternative to medication.
Good to know!
While a wedge pillow can help with acid reflux, certain foods could be avoided. Nutritionist Kerry Torrens recommends staying away from acidic foods, such as tomatoes and citrus fruits. Fizzy drinks, coffee and alcohol, should also be avoided.
Wedge Pillow Uses
Wedge pillows are popular amongst as they can be used in so many different ways. While many use a wedge pillow for sleeping, there are other ways it could benefit you. Here are some effective ways to use a wedge pillow and get the most out of your money.
- Pregnancy: A wedge pillow can also double as a pregnancy pillow to help support the back. When pregnant, it’s recommended to sleep on the left side to avoid placing pressure on the liver or any other internal organs. Putting a pillow behind your back can help maintain this position. A study✓ with 92 pregnant women found that a wedge pillow was preferable over a standard pillow for backache and sleep quality.
- Sitting: You can use a wedge pillow for reading in bed or general lounging around. The incline and memory foam materials should provide enough support and comfort while helping to keep the spine in alignment.
- Home-working: As increasingly more people are working from home, the amount of sitting can lead to backache being a common occurrence. You can use a wedge pillow on your chair to support the back and maintain the correct posture.
- Sleeping: The wedge pillow can be placed under the head for elevation; this can help open the airways and reduce snoring. You can also place the pillow under the legs for better circulation or behind your body for back support.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to use a wedge pillow?
You can use a wedge pillow in many different ways. While sleeping, many use the pillow to elevate the head or legs, but you can also use it while sitting or as added support while pregnant.
How to sleep on a wedge pillow?
You can place the wedge pillow under the head to prop up the head and neck; this can be effective for acid reflux and sleep apnoea. You can also place the pillow under the legs or knees for better blood circulation and pressure relief.
How to use a pregnancy pillow?
Due to a wedge pillow often being smaller than a full-body pregnancy pillow, you can easily manoeuvre and adjust the placement to provide sufficient support. Many place the wedge pillow behind the back to encourage side sleeping, and you can also place it under the stomach to prop the belly up.