If you're currently unhappy with how you're sleeping and are looking to adjust the feel of your mattress, a soft mattress topper could be a good solution. Suffering from a bad nights sleep may be the result of an uncomfortable mattress; therefore, if you can't afford to purchase a whole new mattress or simply want to adjust the surface feel, a soft mattress topper may be a suitable option.
A softer mattress topper may provide that extra comfort you are looking for, especially if you are currently sleeping on a firm mattress with a large number of springs. When purchasing a soft topper, there are different things to consider, such as price, materials, quality and firmness.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion).
|MATTRESS TOPPER||TYPE||DESCRIBED FIRMNESS||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|John Lewis Synthetic Soft Touch Dual Layer Mattress Topper||Hollow Fibre||Soft||NA Nights|
|Silentnight Eco Comfort Mattress Topper||Eco Fibre||Soft||NA Nights|
|High Living Store Microfibre Mattress Topper||Hollow Fibre||Super Soft||NA Nights|
|BedStory Microfibre Mattress Topper||Microfibre||Super Soft||NA Nights|
|Una Organic Latex Mattress Topper||Latex||Soft||100 Nights|
|Eve The Mattress Topper||Polyurethane Foam||Soft||30 Nights|
1. John Lewis Soft Touch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
|• Dual-layer construction |
• Polyester cover
• 6cm thickness
|• Sleepers looking for extra comfort|
• Individuals seeking support
• Those with a mattress up to 32cm deep
The Synthetic Soft Touch Washable Dual Layer 6cm Deep Mattress Topper is one of John Lewis & Partners best sellers. With hundreds of positive reviews, customers claim this soft mattress topper has excellent quality, comfort, and good value for money.
This mattress topper comes as a dual-layer – there is an inner base layer enveloped in a zipped upper layer. The polyester cover has been designed to give a soft and comfortable feel. The base layer has been included to add extra comfort while maintaining support. Moreover, the topper comes with straps to secure it in place and can fit over any mattress up to 32cm deep.
With a two-year guarantee, the topper comes in five different sizes, ranging from the single, small double, double, king and super king. In addition, the topper cover is washable at 40°C, but it is recommended to ensure the product is fully dry before using.
2. Silentnight Eco Comfort Mattress Topper
|• Sustainable fibres |
• Made with recycled bottles
• 2-year guarantee
|• Eco-friendly individuals|
• Hot sleepers
• Those with sensitive skin
Silentnight have created their Eco Comfort Mattress Topper, made in the UK. With this topper, Silentnight has focused on being environmentally friendly; therefore, the topper has been made using 100% recycled bottles. Silentnight claim that every topper has saved at least 30 plastic bottles from entering landfills or oceans.
The Eco Comfort topper uses sustainable fibres to create a soft and fluffy feel. In addition, the topper is lightweight and designed to add an extra layer of comfort. The outer layer of the topper uses chemical-free embossed fabric, which is made to be breathable and help maintain moisture control.
To help maintain cleanliness, the topper can be machine washed at 40°C. This topper comes with a two-year guarantee, meaning if you are not happy with it, you can return it to Silentnight.
3. High Living Microfibre Supersoft Mattress Topper
|• Virgin hollow fibre|
• Baffle box-stitched
• Oeko-Tex certified
|• Those on a budget |
• Sleepers looking for a super-soft feel
• Individuals with allergies
The High Living Microfibre Mattress Topper is a super-soft mattress topper sold on Amazon that customers seem to enjoy. With thousands of five-star reviews, customers have highlighted the softness, value for money and comfort the topper provides.
The topper is made up of 100% polyester virgin hollow fibre, which provides comfort and softness on top of your current mattress. It is designed to act as a thick layer to help you adjust and revitalize your existing mattress. The High Living Microfibre Mattress Topper is also baffle box-stitched, ensuring that an equal amount of filling remains within every square inch of the topper. Moreover, the elasticated corner straps also allow you to secure the topper to your current mattress to prevent it from moving around during the night.
In addition, the mattress topper is Oeko-Tex certified, which means the product has been tested to reduce harmful chemicals and to ensure safety regulations. The topper is also hypoallergenic, meaning it could be a good choice for those suffering from allergies.
4. BedStory Microfibre Supersoft Mattress Topper
|• 7D Microfiber cotton |
• Hypoallergenic materials
• CertiPUR-US certified
|• Those seeking breathability |
• People with skin sensitivities
• Mattresses up to 15cm thick
The BedStory Microfibre Mattress Topper is described as 'super soft' and is advertised as being breathable and fluffy. The topper is also CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it passes safety regulations and is safe for pregnant women and babies.
The topper consists of 7D Microfiber plush cotton, which gives the topper a soft and comfortable texture. Due to the double-layered design, the mattress aims to provide airflow and breathability. The fabrics used in creating the mattress topper are hypoallergenic, meaning that it should be skin-friendly and a suitable option for those who suffer from allergies. Additionally, the topper is designed to be mould resistant and machine washable.
As well as the materials, the topper also comes with elastic straps which attach to your current mattress. This will prevent the topper from moving around or slipping off the bed when you sleep. The topper can fit over mattresses that are up to 15 inches thick.
5. Una Mattress Organic Latex Mattress Topper
|• Latex foam filling|
• 100-night free trial
|• People with a flexible budget |
• Individuals seeking pressure relief
• Those seeking organic materials
Una Mattress create their products with the environment in mind and have included organic certified and eco-friendly natural materials in this topper. The Una Organic Latex Mattress Topper comes with a 5-year guarantee and a 100-night free trial so that you can test the mattress topper at home.
The inside consists of certified soft latex foam, which is all-natural and organic with seven zones to support your body’s contours. This means that the mattress topper may help relieve pressure and alleviate any pain. Enveloping the natural interior is a super soft organic wool and cotton cover designed to be breathable with increased airflow.
The topper has been handmade to meet the social and environmental standards in order to gain a negative carbon footprint. It has also been approved by GOTs, meaning it includes at least 70% organic fibres while maintaining ethical and organic production.
6. Eve Mattress Topper
|• Foam construction |
• Hypoallergenic cover
• Made in the UK
|• Those seeking a free trial period |
• Hot sleepers
• Sleepers looking for added support
The Eve Sleep Mattress Topper is entirely made of foam and designed to provide comfort and support. The topper comes in a variety of sizes, alongside a 30-night trial and a 2-year guarantee.
The foam that Eve Sleep use in their products is designed to be very breathable and keep you cool throughout the night. In fact, Eve states that their foam is around 30 times more breathable than other traditional foams. The knitted cover of this topper is made from a soft polyester which is described as hypoallergenic and free of harmful chemicals. The cover can also be removed and washed at 40 degrees.
The Eve Sleep Mattress Topper consists of sturdy straps to prevent your mattress topper from moving around throughout the night. This mattress topper is also made in the UK, from London-based designers to the manufacturing process.
Using A Soft Mattress Topper
A mattress topper is a layer that can be added to a mattress for various reasons. You can add a mattress topper if you want an extra layer of comfort or if you want some added protection for your mattress.
A soft mattress topper is often up to 4 inches thick and can be used to adjust the firmness and feel of the mattress. For example, if you have a firm pocket spring mattress, a soft mattress topper can add extra cushioning.
If you share a bed with a partner, purchasing a single soft mattress topper can be a good way to compromise on the firmness of your mattress if you and your partner have different preferences.
Good to know!
A study✓ involving back sleepers using different mattress toppers found that a 30mm soft mattress topper was the most effective in reducing body pressure and improving spinal alignment.
Soft Mattress Topper Materials
Soft mattress toppers can be made from various materials, often adjusted to create that soft feeling. The materials can be essential as they can change the mattress topper’s softness, feel, or breathability. It’s helpful to become familiar with the different materials so you can discover which type is the best fit for you.
- Memory Foam: This is a popular material for toppers as it can contour and mould to a persons body shape, features also found in memory foam mattresses. Additionally, it’s able to provide good pressure relief and cushioning. Memory foam can be used in soft toppers as you’re able to sink into the surface slightly. It’s worth noting that memory foam may not be ideal for hot sleepers as it tends to retain heat.
- Latex: Natural latex could be a good option for those keen to use more natural products as the material is derived from the sap from rubber trees. When used in a topper, latex can provide bounce and comfort. Despite being a little more pricey, latex tends to be durable and a little firmer than other foams.
- Wool: Wool is known for having a very soft feel, as well as having suitable temperature regulating properties. In addition, wool is also largely renewable and biodegradable, therefore ideal for those who are more environmentally conscious.
- Hollow Fibre: This is a common material used in soft mattress toppers and is made using polyester strands. It is known to be lightweight, soft and breathable. Additionally, hollow fibre tends to be cheaper than other materials, such as foam or latex.
As well as being familiar with the materials found in soft mattress toppers, it’s also worth knowing how compatible the topper will be with your current mattress. Combining a topper with your existing mattress may significantly change the feel, so it’s good to know what to expect. It’s worth noting that softness can be subjective; therefore, the surface may feel slightly different depending on factors such as weight and sleeping position.
Firm mattresses, such as innerspring or hybrid mattresses, tend to be a good pairing with a soft topper if you want to add extra cushioning. With hybrid mattresses, the more springs there are, the firmer it can be; therefore, a soft topper can help to balance out this firmness.
Softer mattresses, such as those with memory foam, can also be combined with a soft topper to create even more cushioning. However, the amount of soft filling may cause an unpleasant sinking feeling for some, particularly heavier people. Soft fillings may also be less durable, so you may also experience some sagging over time.
Those Who Should Consider A Soft Mattress Topper
A soft mattress topper can have many benefits, but it can often depend on personal preferences and characteristics. Despite this, certain types of people may gain more benefits than others from using a soft mattress topper.
- Lighter Individuals: People who have a lower BMI tend to feel surface firmness more than others. A soft mattress topper can help these individuals to feel more cushioned rather than lying on top of a rigid surface.
- Comfort Seekers: If you enjoy the hugging sensation in bed, a soft topper is a great choice because it can provide that cushioned feeling.
- Aches and Pains: A soft topper can provide some comfort and cushion for those with injuries or general body aches. However, it’s worth noting that research✓ has found medium-firm to be a good option for lower back pain specifically.
- On a Budget: If you want to save some money, soft toppers are usually less expensive due to the lower density materials. A topper is also a good way to adjust the surface feel without splashing out on a whole new mattress.
- Side and Back-Sleepers: This sleeping position needs more cushion on their hips, shoulders and knees - a soft topper can help to alleviate pressure in these areas.
Those Who Should Avoid A Soft Mattress Topper
As there are people better suited to a soft mattress topper, there are also people who may not. The type of topper you choose can rely heavily on your own needs and preferences. However, if you fall into any of the following categories, it may be worth looking into medium or firm mattress toppers instead.
- Heavy Individuals: Heavy people may experience too much sinking with a soft topper. The use of soft materials can cause the surface to sag over time and decrease its durability. A medium-firm to firm mattress topper could be more beneficial.
- Stability Seekers: Those who prefer more stability over the sinking sensation may want to stay away from soft mattress toppers. A medium-firm to firm topper should provide a more stable surface.
- Infants: A medium-firm to firm surface is recommended for infants or young children. A firmer surface can decrease the low chances of SIDs✓ caused by possible suffocation due to the cushioning features found in softer toppers and mattresses.
- Durability: As these toppers prioritise softness, the materials may cause the topper to sag over time, especially when under pressure.
- Stomach Sleepers: This sleeping position tends to be better suited to a medium-firm or firm mattress topper. This is so the spine is supported and the stomach doesn’t sink into the surface, which could cause backache.
Despite not being the most recommended sleeping position, stomach sleeping can actually reduce snoring and mild apnea✓, as it can help to open up the airways.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to choose a soft mattress topper?
You should first consider your personal needs and preferences to see how the features of a soft mattress topper can appeal to you. It’s worth considering the topper material types and how they could work with your current mattress to create the desired feel.
How soft is a wool mattress topper?
Wool mattress toppers are known for being very soft and comfortable. They may not have the same contouring features as memory foam, but they are known for having good temperature regulating properties.
What is a good mattress topper that isn’t too soft but not too hard?
It would help if you tried looking for a topper that is categorised as medium-soft, medium or medium-firm. Memory foam can often be a good option if it’s been constructed with a little extra firmness. Latex also tends to be slightly firmer than other foams while maintaining comfort.