If you're looking to revamp your mattress, buying a memory foam mattress topper can be a cost-effective move to add extra comfort. A memory foam topper can help to relieve pressure and add extra cushioning.
The right memory foam mattress topper can adjust and improve your mattress' comfort feel. There are some considerations to take into account, such as topper density, thickness, size and, of course, your budget.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion).
|TOPPER||THICKNESS||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|Panda The Topper||5cm||30 Nights|
|Dormeo Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper||7cm||60 Nights|
|Dreamzie Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper||5cm||30 Nights|
|Inofia Mattress Topper||6cm||100 Nights|
|Silentnight Impress Memory Foam Mattress Topper||5cm||NA Nights|
1. Panda Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|• Hydro-Foam™ layer|
• Bamboo cover
• Gel-infused foam
|• Those seeking orthopaedic features |
• Individuals looking for durability
• Hot sleepers
The Panda Memory Foam mattress topper is a sustainable option as it includes a bamboo cover, which is organically grown. The removable bamboo cover is also hypoallergenic and naturally antibacterial.
The 5cm Panda topper is made with Hydro-Foam™ or what they call '3rd generation memory foam'. This Hydro-Foam layer is infused with tiny cooling gel capsules to prevent heat retention and create more breathability. The foam can also offer support and long-lasting durability. In addition, the Hydro-Foam™ is orthopedically approved, meaning it can help maintain spinal alignment while supporting the back, neck and hips.
On top of this, the Panda mattress topper comes with a 30-night trial for you to decide if it's really what you are looking for. If not, you can send it back and receive a full refund. If there are any faults with the mattress topper, you will also be covered by their 10-year guarantee.
2. Dormeo Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper
|• Octaspring® technology |
• Air mesh cover
• 5 body zoning areas
|• Those with a bigger budget |
• Sleepers looking for breathability
If you are looking for a luxury memory foam topper to supplement your mattress, the Octaspring topper from Dormeo may be worth considering. This topper has been approved by third-party publications and has also been well received by customers.
This Dormeo topper features visco-elastic memory foam to mould to your body shape for comfort. The topper also contains memory foam springs that use Octaspring® technology, known to be 8x more breathable than regular memory foam. Additionally, there are 5 body zoning areas designed to help with correct spinal alignment by providing added support in areas such as the head and shoulders. Finally, an air mesh cover is included to help with airflow and reduce overall trapped heat.
Dormeo includes a 60-night comfort trial with this memory foam topper, and if you are not satisfied, you can return it, and they will refund your purchase. A 5-year warranty is attached to their Octaspring® mattress toppers.
3. Dreamzie Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|• Bamboo fibre cover |
• CertiPUR Certified
• 5cm thick
|• Those who prefer a removable cover |
• Sleepers seeking pressure relief
• Those who value chemical-free materials
The Dreamzie topper is one of the highest-rated memory foam mattress toppers on Amazon UK; it comes at an affordable price and has many 5-star reviews. The Dreamzie memory foam topper is made in Europe and is OEKO TEX and CertiPUR Certified, meaning it complies with British standards and regulations.
This 5cm thick memory foam mattress topper was designed to relieve pressure, with all body types and sleeping positions in mind. Additionally, they included 4 elastic straps to secure the topper (for mattresses up to 28cm thick) and non-slip material to keep the mattress topper in place. To promote breathability throughout the topper, you will find mesh fabric along the sides of the bamboo fibre cover, which can also be unzipped, removed, and machine washed at up to 30°C.
Upon purchase, you will have 30 days to trial the Dreamzie memory foam topper, in which you can receive a refund and return it if you are dissatisfied. To ensure longevity, the topper is guaranteed for 10-years.
4. Inofia Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|• Ecogreen Airyfoam|
• Biogrey Reliefoam
• Charcoal infusion
|• Eco-conscious individuals |
• Sleepers seeking temperature regulation
• Those who enjoy a soft feel
The Inofia mattress topper has a dual-layer design and includes environmentally-friendly Ecogreen Airyfoam, which is infused with breathable memory foam designed to promote temperature regulation. The topper is also CertiPUR certified, meaning so harmful metals or chemicals were used in production.
The upper layer of the topper is made from memory foam to provide pressure relief and body moulding comfort. In addition, there is also 4cm of Biogrey Reliefoam, which is infused with charcoal that can release negative ions that are said to help relieve stress. The cover is made from a soft Tencel blend, which is designed to promote breathability and provide a soft feel. The cover is also removable and washable for easy cleaning.
The Inofia mattress topper comes with a 100-trial to test it out and return it free of charge if you are dissatisfied with the product. Moreover, there is a 10-year guarantee included.
5. Silentnight Impress Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|• 5cm memory foam|
• Made in the UK
|• Those suffering aches and pains |
• Individuals looking for pressure relief
• Sleepers seeking spinal alignment
Silentnight is a popular brand in the UK with over 70-years in the business. Their Impress Memory Foam mattress topper is designed to be hypoallergenic, meaning it's unlikely to contain materials that cause allergies.
The mattress topper is made of a single 5cm memory foam layer. This layer is designed to add comfort, reduce pressure points and alleviate any aches and pains. The memory foam is also designed to mould to the body and react to movement. Wrapping and protecting the memory foam layer is a cover that can be easily and washed to keep things fresh and hygienic.
The Silentnight mattress topper is made in the UK and typically takes 3-5 days to deliver. Upon purchase, you will also receive a 2-year guarantee with the product.
Origins Of Memory Foam
Memory foam, sometimes known as viscoelastic, is primarily made from polyurethane, which can be found in various everyday objects, such as sofas and other types of seating. It was first developed in the 1970s by NASA, who were looking to add extra cushioning and protection for airline passengers and pilots.
As memory foam gained popularity, it took on different names, such as Tempur foam and ‘slow spring back foam’, due to its contouring abilities. Nowadays, we can find memory foam everywhere, from padding in helmets to cushioning for motorcycle seats, and it’s even used to help produce prosthetic limbs.
The military has also been known to use memory foam. It can be found in the seating in planes and bulletproof vests to help reduce the impact of bullets.
The popularity of memory foam primarily comes down to its unique contouring features and the ability to mould to a person’s shape using their body heat. It is also known for providing good pressure relief and support. When used in mattresses, we have seen various memory foam modifications over the years in attempts to improve the material. Nowadays, it’s common to find open-cell or gel-infused memory foam, which can help cool the mattress down, ensuring a more comfortable night’s sleep.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Considerations
When purchasing a mattress topper, it’s essential to consider how this can work with your existing mattress and how it could benefit your sleep. To get the most out of the topper, you should look into aspects like firmness and thickness to ensure you’re getting the most out of your purchase.
- Firmness: Memory foam mattress toppers typically range from soft to medium on the firmness scale. A soft mattress topper may not be ideal for heavy people as the surface may start to sink and sag under pressure, which can prove uncomfortable.
- Thickness: Most memory foam toppers tend to range from 1 to 3 inches (3 -7cm) thick. Thick mattress toppers tend to be more durable due to their dense materials. They may also provide more support and less sinkage than thinner toppers.
- Infusions: Some memory foam mattress toppers will include infusions, such as gel or bamboo. Infusions are generally included for their cooling properties and can help cool down the mattress’s surface.
- Size: Before purchasing a memory foam topper, it’s worth checking the size of your mattress, so the topper covers the whole surface. If you share a bed, it could be worth getting two single toppers to suit both your firmness and thickness preferences.
- Price: A good quality memory foam topper can range anywhere from £50 to £500, depending on the size. The difference in price range can depend on factors, such as density, infusions or orthopaedic features.
Who Benefits From A Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers, particularly those made from memory foam, may not be suited for everyone. Ultimately, it always comes down to personal taste; however, here is a list of people who could benefit more than most from a memory foam mattress topper.
- Side sleepers could benefit as a memory foam topper can provide extra cushioning for the hips and knees. Studies✓ have hypothesised that side sleeping may be linked to shoulder pain, so memory foam could also offer pressure-relief for this area.
- Lighter individuals or children tend to feel the firmness of a mattress more than heavier people. For this reason, a soft memory foam topper could be beneficial as it provides a cushioning feeling and could balance out any uncomfortable firmness from the mattress.
- A memory foam mattress topper may also be beneficial for couples due to its noise absorption and reduced motion transfer. This is ideal for restless sleepers and is may reduce disruption for their partner.
- Individuals suffering from aches and pains may appreciate a memory foam mattress topper as the material is known for providing levels of pressure relief. For those with back pain, research✓ shows that a medium-firm feel could be the most beneficial.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Pros & Cons
As with any purchase, it's useful to consider the advantages and disadvantages, especially when it comes to your own needs and preferences. Here are some points to consider before you commit to a memory foam topper.
|✓ It can provide a soft cushioning feeling which is popular amongst many sleepers||✗ Memory foam tends to retain heat, therefore may not be suitable for hot sleepers|
|✓ It could be a good option for couples as it can offer good motion isolation properties||✗ Due to its soft feel, it could create a sinking feeling, especially for heavier individuals|
|✓ Memory foam is known for helping with noise reduction, which may benefit restless sleepers||✗ Front and back sleepers may experience sinking, which could cause the back to arch; this is not good for spinal alignment|
|✓ The contouring abilities found in memory foam can help with pressure relief||✗ Soft memory foam toppers may not provide the firmness necessary to alleviate back pain|
As well as the topper itself, you should also consider the mattress you currently have and if adding a memory foam topper could benefit or hinder your overall sleep quality. Here are some of the most popular mattress types and how they would work with a memory foam topper.
- Pocketsprung: These are one of the most traditional mattress types and largely consist of layers of coils and springs. Spring mattresses are known for being firm and supportive. Therefore, a soft memory foam topper can help to balance out the firmness and provide the added cushioning which could be lacking in spring mattresses.
- Foam: For those who like a lot of comfort and cushioning, adding an extra layer of memory foam could be ideal. However, as foam is known for heat retention, adding a topper to a memory foam mattress may not be ideal for hot sleepers. The added foam could also increase the sinking feeling, which may be uncomfortable for heavier individuals.
- Hybrid: A hybrid mattress usually has a combination of foam and springs. If a hybrid mattress has more springs, a memory foam topper may balance out the firmness. However, if the mattress has more foam, it may cause the mattress to sleep hotter. Due to this, it’s worth checking the specifications and layers in your hybrid mattress.
- Latex: These mattress types are known for being a more organic option as natural latex is derived from the sap of rubber trees. Latex mattresses are known for their elasticity and support. A memory foam topper could add an extra layer of comfort and cushioning, but may take away some breathability.
Memory Foam Infusions
As memory foam tends to sleep hot, many mattress companies take advantage of infusions to help cool down the material. This can provide a more breathable surface while maintaining sufficient levels of comfort.
- Gel: Perhaps the most popular memory foam infusion, gel is known toprovide more breahability. Gel beads are often infused into the mattress topper to help cool down the surface.
- Graphite: A relatively new concept, graphite is believed to have natural cooling properties which can help to cool the surface temperature when infused into a topper.
- Bamboo: As well as being beneficial for cooling, bamboo is said to have naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties which derive from the plant.
- Copper: As a conductive material, copper can help to distribute heat. Copper is also known to have good moisture absorption and antimicrobial properties.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a memory foam mattress topper?
A memory foam mattress topper is an extra layer of memory foam that you can place on top of your mattress. It’s typically used to add extra comfort and cushioning to the mattress surface.
Which is the best memory foam mattress topper?
This can depend on your personal needs and preferences. Heavier individuals or those suffering from back pain may prefer a firmer topper for more support. Hot sleepers may also prefer an infused memory foam topper for added cooling.
Where to buy a memory foam mattress topper?
Memory foam mattress toppers are available across the UK and are sold by my most well-known mattress brands. You typically purchase online or in-store. Check out our list for more recommendations.