A firm mattress topper is placed on your mattress to provide additional support and prolong the mattress’ lifespan. They can help to prevent sagging, reduce pressure on the springs, and protect them from general wear and tear.
If you want to save yourself money in the long run, it may be worth investing in a mattress topper, so you don’t have to replace your bed’s mattress for another couple of years. Moreover, a mattress topper can promote good posture and regulate the temperature in your bed✓. There are different firmness levels regarding mattress toppers. If you feel your back is sinking into your current mattress, then you may want to try out a firm mattress topper for additional support.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion).
|MATTRESS TOPPER||TYPE||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|Dormeo Octasmart Essentials Mattress Topper||Memory Foam||60 Nights|
|Simba Hybrid Topper||Hybrid||NA Nights|
|Soak & Sleep Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Memory Foam||NA Nights|
|Panda The Topper||Memory Foam||30 Nights|
|Inofia Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Memory Foam||100 Nights|
|Tempur Mattress Topper 7||Tempur/ Memory Foam||100 Nights|
1. Octasmart Essentials Firmer Mattress Topper
|• Octacell™ technology |
• Aerocell® Support Base
• Oeko-Tex certified
|• Sleepers looking for added support |
• Hot sleepers
• Individuals also seeking a new pillow
The Octasmart Essentials firm mattress topper comes in four different sizes – small, double, king, and super king. The product has a warranty of eight years and comes with a sixty-night sleep trial, allowing people to try the topper and return it if they are dissatisfied. Customers can also receive a free Octasmart Essentials pillow alongside their new mattress topper.
The Octasmart Essentials mattress topper has been designed with Octacell™ technology that helps to optimise comfort and support for the sleeper. The Octocell comfort layer has 10,000 air channels which can help to increase airflow and help you stay cool. The foam materials can also help to create a comfortable surface while providing pressure relief. The topper is finished with their Aerocell® Support Base which creates stability and support due to it's 3D structure.
This product can be rolled out, so people are able to easily store their topper or take it with them when travelling. In addition, the Octasmart mattress topper uses 25% less material and creates less waste. All products are also Oeko-Tex approved.
2. Simba Hybrid Mattress Topper
|• Hybrid construction|
• Simba-pure layer
• CertiPUR certified
|• Sleepers seeking breathability |
• Eco-friendly individuals
• Those looking for extra comfort
The Simba Hybrid mattress topper is available in five different sizes: single, small double, double, king, and super king. This topper has been highly rated by customers and has been praised by well-known publications.
Simba has designed their mattress topper using 4 different layers. This includes, a soft and breathable surface, a cooling open-cell Simba-pure layer, a spring layer with 2500 aerocoils, and a zoned support base. The aerocoils are designed to contour to the sleeper’s body, ensuring that they are supported from all angles. Meanwhile, the breathable surface and open-cell layer help to draw heat away from your body.
Moreover, the Simba Hybrid mattress topper is eco-friendly. The product has been CertiPUR certified and has been manufactured without harmful chemicals. Instead, the Simba Hybrid topper uses Simba-Pure foam that is free of harmful pollutants. The Simba Hybrid firm mattress topper is a good choice for people who care about the environment and are looking for extra support.
3. Soak & Sleep Memory Foam Firm Mattress Topper
|• Memory foam construction|
• Non-slip based
• 5-year guarantee
|• Those on a budget |
• People seeking a washable cover
• All sleeping positions
The Soak & Sleep memory foam topper is available in a range of sizes and includes a bundle deal, helping people to save money when buying a mattress topper and mattress protector together. The topper has a high customer review rating, with most reviewers highlighting its good quality and value for money.
This product is filled with memory foam and includes a blend of 80% cotton and 20% polyester. The memory foam filling helps to remove pressure from the joints and spine. This material is made to soften with your weight and body temperature, which allows it to contour to your body. The main problem with memory foam is that it can retain heat, so Soak & Sleep recommends purchasing a cooling mattress protector with this topper to ensure breathability. The topper also has a non-slip base, which means that it won’t shift during the night.
Soak & Sleep has applied a 5-year guarantee to this mattress topper. The topper includes a cover which is removable and machine-washable at 40 degrees, so sleepers can keep their beds hygienic.
4. Panda Mattress Topper
|• Organic bamboo |
• 30-night trial
|• Those seeking spinal alignment |
• Individuals looking for durability
• People who value sustainability
The Panda mattress topper is made from memory foam and bamboo. It comes in 9 different sizes and a 10-year guarantee with a 30-night sleep trial, plus free UK delivery and returns.
One of the main selling points of the Panda brand is that is it eco-friendly. This bamboo mattress topper has been made using ethically sourced, organic bamboo that was grown without pesticides. It’s also delivered with recyclable packaging and stamped as vegan friendly. Bamboo also has antibacterial properties, helping to deter microorganisms and parasites like bed bugs or dust mites.
In addition, the product is filled with Hydro-foam that can offer comfortable support while aiding spinal alignment. The topper also includes gel-infused technology, which can help to keep the you cool by reacting to your body temperature. The Panda mattress topper is also fitted with a removable and washable bamboo cover that is naturally made and smooth to the touch.
Customers have shown their support with thousands of positive reviews. Many reviews comment on the good quality, comfortable feel and how it can help to reduce sleep disruption.
5. Inofia Gel Memory Foam Firm Mattress Topper
|• Plush-firm feel|
• Gelex memory foam
• Lavender Reliefoam
|• Those looking for a free-trial period|
• Hot sleepers
• Individuals seeking pressure-relief
The Inofia Gel Memory Foam mattress topper is available in various sizes and offers a 100-night sleep trial with refunds for those that aren’t satisfied with their new mattress topper. The topper is categorised as having a plush-firm feel, which is rated as 6.5 out of 10.
The Inofia mattress topper includes 4 layers, including a breathable soft cover and an anti-slip base. Within the topper is a 2cm layer of Gelex memory foam, which helps provide comfort and support, while the gel helps with temperature regulation. Underneath, you will find the Lavender Reliefoam layer, which is designed to aid in pressure relief and can mould to the body.
Many customers have prasied the Inofia Gel Memory Foam mattress topper, with most people highlighting its comfort and pain-relief properties. The product is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning its free from harmful chemicals.
6. Tempur Mattress Topper
|• 7cm depth |
• Visco-elastic cells
• 100-night sleep trial
|• Those with a bigger budget |
• Individuals who value durability
• Those seeking added comfort
The Tempur Mattress Topper 7 is one of the more expensive toppers on the market, however, it comes with a 10-year guarantee and 100-night sleep trial, plus free delivery and returns in the UK. The topper consists of 75% cotton and 25% polyester.
The mattress topper is 7cm deep and made from TEMPUR® material, which can provide extra support and help to relieve pressure. The topper also includes visco-elastic cells that are able to mould to the body while you sleep. There is also a soft jersey cover is removable and machine-washable at 60 degrees.
The Tempur brand is also certified as number 1 for consumer satisfaction, so the company deals with any queries or complaints promptly. Customers have also praised the topper for being comfortable and pressure relieving.
Firm Mattress Topper Checklist
There are currently a variety of firm mattress toppers on the market; therefore, it’s helpful to distinguish between the various options. Firm toppers can have different materials, thickness and firmness levels, all of which can make a difference in getting a good nights sleep. Here are some points worth considering when choosing the best firm mattress topper for you.
- Firmness: Firm mattress toppers can range from medium-firm to extra-firm, with the different firmness levels offering different benefits. Heavier individuals may prefer firm to extra-firm as it can provide enough support without sagging. Those suffering from back pain may prefer medium-firm as it may offer some pressure relief.
- Thickness: If your current mattress is too soft, a thick mattress topper may create a more substantial layer to sufficiently adjust the feel of your existing mattress. Alternatively, if you are only looking for a slight adjustment, a thin topper could be a better solution.
- Materials: Different materials can affect the feel and firmness of the mattress topper. For example, firm toppers with a large amount of memory foam should offer more cushion and contouring features. Hybrid mattress toppers with springs can add extra firmness and breathability.
- Eco-Friendly: Many mattress companies are now providing more sustainable and eco-friendly options. Materials such as bamboo, natural latex and wool are known for being more environmentally friendly. It’s also worth checking for the use of organic materials and environmental certifications attached to the product.
- Price: Most firm mattress toppers can typically range from £100 to £500. They tend to be more expensive than soft mattress toppers due to their increased density and layering. However, a costly topper doesn’t necessarily guarantee high quality, so it’s worth checking extra features, such as specialised foams and cooling technology.
- Trial Period: Some firm mattress toppers do not have a trial period; therefore, if you want to test the mattress at home, you may need to find a company that offers a free trial. For toppers, trial periods can typically last from 30 to 100 nights.
Firm Mattress Toppers For Back Pain
While sleeping on a firm surface was once believed to be a great way to reduce and relieve back pain, it has since been discovered that this may not be the case. A study✓ involving patients with chronic lower back pain found that a medium-firm surface proved more effective at relieving the pain. Whatsmore, a small study✓ also found that soft toppers with a 30mm thickness were the best option for reducing body pressure.
Despite this, many mattress companies continue to claim that their firm or extra-firm mattress toppers have orthopaedic features. This can be problematic as there is often little scientific or medical evidence to back up these claims. Research✓ has found that orthopaedic mattresses often only use the term for marketing purposes. If you’re searching for a firm mattress topper with orthopaedic features, it’s worth checking to see if it’s medically recommended.
Good to know!
A study✓ involving 25 male volunteers in the side sleeping position found that a firm surface failed to support the spine sufficiently and created a curvature.
Firm Toppers Vs Soft Toppers
When browsing for a mattress topper, you will likely see a range of different firmness levels. While the definition of a soft and firm mattress topper can be somewhat self-explanatory, there are other differences between the two besides their firmness levels. Here are some differences to note if you’re unsure which firmness level is the right fit for you.
|Soft Toppers||Firm Toppers|
|○ Materials used in soft mattress toppers are often made from hollow fibres, foam and polyester.||◻ Materials in firm toppers primarily consist of memory foam and latex, with some hybrid options containing springs.|
|○ Soft mattress toppers tend to be cheaper and can typically range from £50 to £200.||◻ Due to the density and additional layers, firm mattress toppers can often be more expensive, ranging from £100 to £500.|
|○ Softer surfaces may be better suited for lighter individuals who naturally tend to feel the firmness more and therefore may need extra comfort and sinkage.||◻ Heavy people may find firm toppers more durable as softer surfaces can lead to sinking and sagging over time.|
|○ Side sleepers could enjoy soft mattress toppers as it gives them extra cushioning on the knees, hips and shoulders.||◻ Stomach sleepers could benefit from a firm topper as it can stop the stomach and hips from sinking, which could prevent spinal alignment.|
Firm Mattress Topper Materials
While most firm mattress toppers include layers of foam, other materials can be used to create this firm surface. Different materials can have their pros and cons, so it’s something to consider when finding a firm topper to suit your personal preferences.
- Memory Foam: The most common material found in firm toppers is a popular choice as it can create a firm surface while offering sufficient cushioning and contouring features. Despite this, memory foam mattress toppers can sleep hot, so try looking for open-cell or gel-infused foam for a cooler experience.
- Latex: As latex is a natural material, this type of topper can often be a more eco-friendly and organic option. Latex toppers are known to have a springy feel and tend to sleep cooler than foam toppers. Latex mattress toppers can range in firmness levels, so it’s important to check this before purchasing.
- Hybrid: Although not as common as foam, hybrid mattress toppers can be a good option for those looking for a firm and stable feel. These toppers can often contain springs, which can also increase airflow, which could be beneficial for hot sleepers.
Benefits Of A Firm Mattress Topper
While a firm mattress topper may not be for everyone, there are several benefits that could appeal to a wide range of sleepers. Despite this, it’s worth noting that firmness levels are largely subjective; therefore, it may be helpful to test the topper firsthand, either in-store or with a free trial.
- Couples: Sharing a bed with a partner can sometimes mean different firmness preferences, a good way to compromise could be to get a single mattress topper. That way, you can change the firmness without having to look into expensive dual mattresses.
- Mattress Adjustment: If your current mattress is too soft, you can easily adjust the firmness and feel in an affordable manner. This is particularly useful for students or short-term renters who won’t use the mattress for an extended period.
- Price: Rather than splashing out on a whole new mattress, purchasing a mattress topper can offer you the feel you want. A mattress topper can also provide protection, which could add to the mattress’ longevity.
- Stomach Sleepers: A firm mattress topper could be a good option for stomach sleepers as it can prevent the hips and stomach from sinking into the mattress. This added support can also help to maintain spinal alignment.
- Heavy Individuals: For heavy people, soft surfaces may sag over time under the increased pressure. A firm topper can help to maintain support and increase durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
How firm should my mattress topper be?
This can depend on your personal needs and preferences. However, if you suffer from aches and pains, a medium-firm topper can be beneficial in relieving pressure. Heavy individuals may also prefer a firmer topper as it can offer more durability and support.
How to know if a mattress topper is firm?
While firmness can be subjective, most mattress companies will include information regarding the firmness level. Looking at customer reviews and having a free trial period can also help determine the topper’s firmness.
What is the best mattress topper for a firm bed?
If you want extra firmness, a memory foam topper can provide a firm surface while offering cushioning and comfort. To decrease the firmness, it’s recommended to buy a thinner, soft mattress topper, which can be made from hollow fibres and foam.