A double day bed is typically a sofa or single bed, which can be converted into a larger bed. This is often achieved by storing a trundle bed under the main bed, and pulling it out when needed. This multi-functional piece of furniture can be ideal for those who are looking to save space, or who have frequent visitors.
Before purchasing a double day bed, there are many factors you can take into consideration. This includes the construction and design of the day bed. You should also check to see if mattresses are included and if they suit your preferences. Keep reading for our recommendation and advice before investing in a new double day bed.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion)
|Happy Beds Versailles Guest Day Bed||No mattress||5 Years||£284.99|
|Dreams Elwood Double Day bed||No mattress||1 Year||£449|
|Simply Beds Day Bed||With mattresses||NA||£224.99|
|John Lewis & Partners Savoy Day Bed||With mattresses||7 Years||£825|
|Mattress Online Lena Pine Day Bed||No mattress||1 Year||£435|
|Highgrove Stayover Day Bed||With mattresses||20 Years||£1199|
1. Versailles Metal Double Day Bed
|• Eggshell lacquer finish |
• Sprung slatted base
• 5-year guarantee
|• Mattress height of 15-16cm|
• People who value design
• Individuals seeking added support
The Versailles Day Bed by Happy Beds comes with an under bed trundle, which can be pulled out easily. The day bed is 3ft and can be used as a sofa during the day or as a larger bed at night. Due to its unique design, you can keep the day bed in the living room or bedroom.
The day bed is designed with ornate details with a stone white eggshell finish. Happy Beds state that the metal structure offers sturdiness, while the base has been sprung slatted to provide extra support and comfort. To make a larger bed, you can easily slide the trundle bed out and raise it to match the level of the main bed. The recommended mattress height for the trundle bed is between 15-16cm.
The bed frame weighs 31kg, while the under-bed trundle weighs 15kg. The recommended mattress height for the trundle is between 15-16 cm. The day bed also comes with a 5-year guarantee, meaning you can protect your purchase over time.
2. Elwood Double Daybed
|• Built-in USB sockets |
• Side pockets
• Upholstered fabric
|• A mattress depth up to 38cm|
• Those who value their gadgets
• People seeking a day sofa
The Elwood Daybed is designed to be a sofa during the day, which can be converted to a bed at night. The bed has received positive reviews online from verified customers, getting top ratings for quality of product, value or product and design.
The modern day bed has been constructed with upholstered fabric and sprung slats, which help provide comfort and support. The under bed can be easily pulled out and can fit a mattress with a depth of 38 cm. When used with the under bed, it is recommended that the bed can sleep up to 2 people. For those who enjoy their gadgets, the day bed also comes with built-in USB sockets, so you can charge your phones while lounging on the sofa or sleeping at night. There are also side pockets for you to store small items, such as phones and books.
Upon purchasing, you will need to have two standard single mattresses, to fit on the main bed and the underbed. Dreams also state that assembly can take up to an hour and will require two people. When you purchase the day bed, you should receive free delivery and a 1-year guarantee.
3. Simply Beds Double Day Bed With Trundle
|• Open coil spring mattresses |
• Trundle bed with castor wheels
• Tweed fabric headboard
|• Those seeking durability |
• People who prefer a medium to soft feel
• Individuals on a budget
Simply Beds is offering their Divan day bed with a pull-out trundle. As the trundle is not attached to the main bed, you can use it as a day bed, double bed, or two singles. The bed is available in 3 different colours and comes with a matching headboard made from tweed fabric.
You get two mattresses with a medium to soft feel and damask fabric for added comfort upon purchase. The mattresses also have an open coil spring design with a rod edge, which can help increase durability. The day bed itself has a metal construction and an under bed. The trundle bed comes with castor wheels and can be slid out on either side of the bed. You can also raise the level of the trundle bed, so it meets the same height as the main bed.
You can purchase the day bed on Amazon, where you can find many positive reviews from verified customers. The bed has received top ratings for comfort and value for money. Customers also commented on how easy the product is to assemble.
4. John Lewis Savoy Double Day Bed
|• Pocket sprung mattresses|
• 560 spring count
• Zipped features
|• Those seeking breathability |
• Individuals looking for versatility
• People who prefer to buy British
John Lewis & Partners is an established band that offers many UK-made products. The dimensions of the day bed are 190x90, and it comes with two single pocket sprung mattresses. You are also able to choose from a choice of fabric options when buying in-store.
The upholstered day bed uses materials such as viscose, polyester and cotton. The trundle bed can be easily rolled out and includes fold-out legs so you can bring the two beds to the same height. There is also a zip feature so that you can get the two beds together, or you can use them as twin beds. The included mattresses have a spring count of 560, and it is recommended to turn them regularly.
The limited reviews from customers state that the day bed is good quality and good value for money. Others say that it's worth checking the measurements to check that the bed fits the area correctly. It's also important to note that the headboard is not included with the purchase.
5. Lena Pine Double Day Bed
|• Ortho Sleep Support technology |
• High-quality pine
• Ethically-sourced materials
|• Those seeking spinal alignment|
• People looking for a guest bed
• Individuals who value quality
The Lena Pine day bed is designed for guests and features a main bed and a pull-out bed. The product has received top reviews online, with particularly high scores for design, appearance and quality.
The day bed uses high-quality pine, which is ethically sourced. The pine has a natural finish to give the bed a clean and cohesive appearance. Wooden slats are used to offer sturdiness and have Ortho Sleep Support technology, which can help with spinal alignment. The under bed can be stored away during the day and pulled out for the night. When the two beds are placed together, you have a double bed; otherwise, you can use it separately as a single guest bed.
When you purchase the day bed, you get free next day delivery and a 1-year guarantee, which can help protect your purchase against any initial damage. Mattress Online states that the bed is easy to assemble, and you can download all their instructions on their website.
6. Highgrove Stayover Double Day Bed
|• Coolmax microquilt fabric|
• 20-year structural guarantee
• Made in the UK
|• Hot sleepers |
• People who value spring mattresses
• Those with a bigger budget
The Stayover Bed by Highgrove comes from their Stayover Guest Bed Collection and has been designed to offer both comfort and style. The product has been handcrafted in the UK and is sold exclusively through Furniture Village.
The Guest Bed can be used as a single day bed, a larger bed or as two twin beds. The pull-out bed has expandable legs, so you can easily store it underneath the main bed or raise the height to make a larger bed. Alongside the bed, you also get mattresses included within the purchase. The two single mattresses are 18cm deep and feature coil springs, which can help with breathability. They are also covered with Coolmax micro quilt fabric, which is designed to be stretchy and help wick away moisture.
The Highgrove day bed comes with an illusion headboard and a 20-year structural guarantee, meaning it should be durable and long-lasting. The product has also been giving a comfort rating of 3 for firmness.
Defining A Double Day Bed
Double day beds can vary in construction and design; however, most double day beds are designed to replicate single beds or sofas, with an under-bed stored underneath. The under-bed is known as a trundle and can typically be easily rolled out on wheels to form a double bed or two twin beds.
For some, it can be challenging to choose between a sofa bed and a day bed. The key difference is that a sofa bed is typically constructed to be all-in-one, in which the bed can be folded outwards. In contrast, a day bed usually has a separate bed which can be pulled out to form a double bed. A sofa bed may be preferable for those who will make good use out of the sofa, whereas a day bed can be a good solution for those with frequent guests.
Double Day Bed Features
There is a wide variety of day beds available across the UK with many different features and designs. Here are some points to consider before purchasing and how you can align the various features to your preferences.
- Mattress: Some double day beds will come with mattresses included, whereas others do not. If the mattress comes included, it’s worth checking the firmness and comfort level. On the other hand, if the mattresses are not included, it gives you the opportunity to purchase a mattress type that suits your preferences.
- Trundle: The trundle is the under-bed which is often stored under the main bed. Trundles can vary in size and may require different mattress heights. You can also check reviews to see how easy the under-bed is to pull out, as well as the sturdiness.
- Design: A day bed can be used in a bedroom, or the living room as a sofa. For this reason, it’s worth considering the design and appearance before buying. When the trundle is stored underneath, some day beds are designed to look more like sofas, while others replicate single beds.
- Extra Features: Day bed design and construction can vary, and many companies have added extra features which distinguish their product from others. Some day beds have trundles with expandable legs, so you can raise the under-bed to the same height as the main bed. Others have added technology and may include USB sockets for those who value their gadgets.
- Construction: The materials used in constructing day beds can have an impact on appearance, sturdiness and comfort. Many day beds feature wooden slats for extra support, while others feature sturdy metal or wooden bases.
- Warranty: If durability is important to you, it’s worth getting a day bed with an extended warranty period. These periods can typically range from 1 year to 7 years, with some even extending to 20 years. A warranty period can also protect your purchase against any possible damage.
Although differing in design, day beds have existed for a long time and were used by the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. They were often used to relax comfortably in a social setting.
Double Day Bed Mattress
For added convenience, some double day beds may include mattresses alongside the bed frame. If this is the case, it’s helpful to know the firmness of the mattress. Different firmness levels can offer varying benefits, but it’s essential to identify your personal preferences, characteristics and sleeping style before selecting a firmness level.
For heavy people, a firmer mattress could be beneficial as a firm surface can prevent sinking over time. Likewise, for those who sleep on their stomach, a firm mattress is advisable as it can stop the hips and stomach from sinking, which could cause spinal misalignment. For people who suffer from back pain, studies✓ have shown that a medium-firm mattress can be particularly helpful in easing aches and pains. Hot sleepers may also find that mattresses with an open-cell structure or springs can be more breathable.
If the double day bed does not include a mattress, it’s important to check the maximum size and height of the mattress, particularly for the trundle. The trundle or under-bed is often stored underneath the main bed; therefore, allowing enough space for the mattress is essential. It would help if you also double-checked the measurements of the frame before investing in new mattresses to make sure it fits correctly.
Benefits Of A Double Day Bed
Purchasing any type of bed can be a significant investment, so it can be useful to know the benefits and if this appeals to you. Here are some possible advantages to consider when looking for a day bed.
- Guest Bed: Like many, you may not have the space or expenses to create a guest bedroom for visitors. If this is the case, purchasing a sofa day bed, which can be placed in the living room, can be a comfortable alternative.
- Versatility: Day beds are multi-functional, you can use the single bed or sofa to lounge and relax, then easily transform it into a bed whenever you feel like it.
- Space: For those who have limited bedroom space or prefer a minimalist interior, a day bed can be a great space-saving solution as you can slide the trundle underneath during the day - creating a more open space.
- Young People: Growing up, it’s common for kids and teenagers to enjoy sleepovers and inviting friends around. While they may not be old enough for a double bed, a day bed can provide that extra room for when friends come to stay over.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a day bed?
A day bed is multi-functional as it is typically constructed to be a sofa that can be converted into a bed. They often include trundles, which can be pulled out to make a larger bed.
Where can I buy a day bed?
You can find day beds at many established mattress and bed companies. You may also be able to purchase from furniture stores and online retailers, such as Amazon.
How to put a double day bed together?
Upon purchasing the day bed, there should be a manual or instructions that you can follow to help you assemble the product. While assembling, it’s important to check that the rails or wheels are appropriately connected in order to slide out the trundle bed easily .