Mattresses using natural materials are becoming increasingly popular - both because customers are starting to look towards more eco-friendly choices and the increased awareness of the remarkable properties and benefits of the materials themselves. Bamboo mattresses are now available from many brands and usually incorporate bamboo as bamboo fibre or as a bamboo charcoal infusion - sometimes both, in the cover or comfort layers, or sometimes also both.
With increased consumer interest and, in turn, availability, it may become a bit difficult to know what is the best choice. Therefore, it's important to be aware of the available options and the differences between them so that you can find the best bamboo mattress to cater for all your needs and preferences.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion)
|MATTRESS||TYPE||FIRMNESS||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|OTTY PURE Hybrid Bamboo & Charcoal Mattress||Bamboo Charcoal Infused Memory Foam Mattress||Medium/Firm||100 Nights|
|REM-Fit® Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress||Bamboo Charcoal Infused Memory Foam Mattress||Medium/Firm||100 Nights|
|Happy Beds Mirage Spring Quilted Bamboo Fabric Natural Fillings Mattress||Bamboo Fabric and Open Springs with Natural Fillings Mattress||Medium||NA Nights|
|Giltedge Beds Bamboo 1500 Mattress||Bamboo Infused Cover Memory Foam Pocket Spring Mattress||Medium||NA Nights|
|Happy Beds Bamboo Vitality 2000 Pocket Sprung Memory and Reflex Foam Mattress||Filled, Topped and Lined Bamboo Fabric Memory Foam Pocket Spring Mattress||Medium||NA Nights|
|Relyon Natural Luxury 1400 Mattress||Bamboo Fibre Pocket Spring Mattress||Medium/Soft||NA Nights|
1. OTTY PURE Hybrid Bamboo & Charcoal Mattress
|• Up to 2000 encapsulated 16cm springs|
• 10-year guarantee
• 100-night trial
|• Those preferring a medium-firm feel|
• Hot sleepers
• People with allergies
The OTTY PURE Hybrid Bamboo & Charcoal Mattress is made up of six layers that together provide a luxurious combination of comfort, support and hygiene. From the bottom, there is a base layer of foam providing a solid foundation. Next up is the "up to 2000" pocket spring layer - encapsulated 16cm springs (OTTY's tallest ever) that offer a medium-firm feel maximising support whilst minimising motion transfer. This layer is surrounded by unique airflow technology that provides an edge to edge sleep surface and aids temperature regulation. Above this is the supportive high-density Reflex foam and then the temperature-regulating bamboo charcoal infused memory foam layer. Finally, the mattress is topped with an embroidered bamboo charcoal infused foam.
Due to the properties of the bamboo charcoal, this mattress is antibacterial, hypoallergenic, moisture-wicking, odour-eliminating, and temperature regulating. As a result, manufacturers claim that it is suitable for people with allergies, asthma, sensitive skin or those who tend to overheat at night. In addition, this mattress has removable covers (dry clean only) to ensure maximum cleanliness.
All OTTY foam is CentiPUR and Europur approved, meaning that both the quality and toxicity of the foam have been through thorough testing and is also fully compliant with the UK fire regulation (FIRA). In addition, OTTY offers a 100-night trial and a 10-year guarantee on the purchase of this product.
2. REM-Fit® Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress
|• Removable and machine-washable cover|
• 15-year guarantee
• 100-night trial
|• Those who prefer a medium-firm feel|
• Allergy sufferers
• People seeking pressure relief
The REM-Fit® Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress is made up of a supportive high-density foam base foundation layer - making it suitable for all bed base types and a bamboo charcoal-infused memory foam comfort layer. This layer of medium-firm memory foam provides body moulding zoned support that facilitates pressure relief in the areas where it's needed. The addition of bamboo charcoal enables natural temperature regulation, odour control, and antibacterial and antifungal benefits.
This mattress has a Re-Ax thermoregulating and hypoallergenic knitted mattress cover which is removable and machine-washable. A Certipur qualification ensures that this polyurethane foam mattress meets specific requirements for the health and safety of consumers and the environment. In addition, REM-Fit offers a 15-year guarantee on this product, as well as a 100-night trial ensuring that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase.
3. Happy Beds Mirage Spring Quilted Bamboo Fabric Natural Fillings Mattress
|• Natural wool and cashmere fillings|
• Made in the UK
• 5-year guarantee
|• Those on a budget|
• People who prefer a medium firmness
• Allergy sufferers
The Mirage Spring Quilted Bamboo Fabric Natural Fillings Mattress by Happy Beds might be a good option if you're looking for an affordable bamboo-fibre mattress that is both comfortable and supportive. This mattress is lined with eco-friendly bamboo yarn making it naturally hypoallergenic and moisture-absorbent.
Crafted with a network of open coil springs and a wool and cashmere filling, the Mirage Spring Quilted Bamboo Natural Fillings Mattress is both sturdy and comfortable. It is rated at a medium firmness. This mattress is quilted on both surfaces and has built-in air vents to promote breathability. Manufacturers recommend that this mattress be flipped and rotated once every six weeks - there are hand-stitched handles on either side to facilitate this.
This mattress is made in the UK, and a 5-year guarantee is offered. Customer reviews are generally very positive many people mention comfort and value for money. Worth noting that some people find it a little softer than expected.
4. Giltedge Beds Bamboo 1500 Mattress
|• Dual season mattress|
• Hand-tufted surface
• 1-year guarantee
|• Those who prefer a medium firmness|
• Hot sleepers
• People who want to buy British
The Giltedge Beds Bamboo 1500 Mattress is made up of 1500 pocket springs providing optimal individual zoned body-contouring support and a pressure-relieving memory foam filling. In addition, this mattress uses bamboo fabric in the cover, which provides both softness and moisture-wicking to facilitate optimal temperature regulation. It is described as a "dual season" mattress and can be turned to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. It has a medium firmness.
The mattress fabric is knitted, which makes it soft, comfortable, and breathable. It is also hand-tufted, making it a good option for those looking for more stability when sleeping and durability in their mattress. Vents to promote air circulation can be found within the mattress, and handles for easy turning are attached on the sides.
This Giltedge Beds mattress is made in the UK, and manufacturers offer a 1-year guarantee on this product. Customers generally seem very happy with their purchases, some highlighting comfort and breathability.
5. Happy Beds Bamboo Vitality 2000 Pocket Sprung Memory and Reflex Foam Mattress
|• Filled, topped and lined with bamboo yarn|
• Reflex memory foam
• 5-year guarantee
|• Hot sleepers|
• Those in need of orthopaedic support
• People seeking motion isolation
The Bamboo Vitality 2000 Pocket Sprung Memory and Reflex Foam Mattress from Happy Beds is designed and crafted to showcase the many benefits of using eco-friendly bamboo fibre. It is filled, topped and lined with bamboo yarn making it a naturally hypoallergenic and moisture-wicking mattress.
This mattress is made of a high quantity of individually nested pocket springs that can adapt to individual sleepers' needs - making this a potentially good option for those with partners who are restless sleepers. There is also generous use of Reflex memory foam providing both comfort and support - orthopaedic support is mentioned in the description.
This bamboo mattress has medium firmness and built-in air vents to promote breathability. Manufacturers recommend rotating this mattress every six weeks to keep it in optimal condition. This mattress is made in the UK and comes with a 5-year manufacturers guarantee. Customers who have bought this product seem very satisfied - many people comment on comfort and quality. Some people, however, mention that it is a little firmer than they expected.
6. Relyon Natural Luxury 1400 Mattress
|• 2 layers of natural fibres|
• Posturepocket™ spring system
• 8-year guarantee
|• Those who prefer a medium-soft feel|
• People with allergies
• Individuals who want to buy British
The Relyon Natural Luxury 1400 Mattress could be a good option if you're looking for a natural fibre mattress with a medium-soft firmness. This mattress features two layers of natural fibres - the first includes a combination of bamboo, wool and alpaca fibres, and the second wool, cashmere, and silk. Both layers function as natural insulation - keeping you warm in winter and cool and dry in summer. In addition, a probiotic fabric treatment also keeps allergens, bacteria, and odours at bay.
The Natural Luxury 1400 utilises the innovative Posturepocket™ spring system for support - each spring in its own fabric pocket moving independently, allowing for a more individual pressure response. In addition, both edges of the mattress have been strengthened with firmer springs to prevent sagging and loss of structural integrity, making it a good option in terms of durability. This is a double-sided mattress and can be flipped and rotated with easy-to-use stitched handles built into both sides.
Manufacturers offer an 8-year guarantee on this mattress. This Relyon mattress is made in the UK and approved by the NBF (National Bed Federation's Code of Practice). Reviews reflect that customers are happy with their purchases - some highlighting comfort and support.
The Origins Of Bamboo
Bamboo (Bambusoidae) is a member of the grass family (Poaceae) and can grow almost anywhere in the world, other than places with an extremely cold climate. It is found most abundantly and in the widest variety in East and Southeast Asia and on islands in the Indian and Pacific oceans. It is thought to have originated in China, where the use of bamboo dates back 7000 years. The use of bamboo in the western hemisphere started to gain attention in the 1920s when the history of the plant was studied and serious research began.
Did you know?
China produces and uses such a large quantity of bamboo it is also known as the "Bamboo Kingdom".
Bamboo Mattresses Explained
There is nowadays a lot of hype and attention on the use of natural fibres such as bamboo, and its popularity is increasing worldwide. This versatile material is seen everywhere from construction, medicines, food and fuel, to kitchenware, scaffolding, clothing and bedding. Due to the natural qualities and sustainable origins of bamboo, it is not difficult to see why bamboo pillows, mattress toppers and mattresses are a popular choice.
A bamboo mattress is generally named as such if it falls into one of these categories or both: the cover is made of bamboo fibre or infused with bamboo charcoal, or the layer of foam, or other filler, is made with bamboo fibre or infused with bamboo charcoal. It’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with the different options so that you are not too easily swayed by clever marketing jargon when searching for the best bamboo mattress.
Bamboo Mattress With Bamboo Fibre
If a bamboo mattress is described as having a bamboo cover, or bamboo comfort layer/filler, these have been made using bamboo fabric - often in addition to other materials. Bamboo fabric is essentially any cloth, yarn or clothing made from bamboo fibres.
Bamboo fibres are all cellulose fibres extracted or produced from natural bamboo; however, the techniques and methods vary widely. These fibres are essentially either chemically or mechanically manufactured✓. Some of the most commonly found bamboo fabrics found in bamboo mattress covers or comfort layers include the following:
- Rayon: rayon derived from bamboo is one of the most common forms of bamboo-based fabrics. Bamboo rayon (also called bamboo viscose) is a semi-synthetic fabric made by chemically processing raw bamboo to extract the plant’s fibres to make textiles.
- Lyocell: lyocell bamboo has similar properties to bamboo rayon, but the manufacturing process, although also chemically manufactured, is more environmentally friendly. It is often more expensive than rayon.
- Linen: Bamboo linen is made mechanically without chemicals. As a result, it is considered the most environmentally friendly option in bamboo fabrics; however, it is more expensive due to the more labour intensive and costly process.
Bamboo Mattress With Bamboo Charcoal
When a bamboo mattress is described as having bamboo infused in the comfort layers, as part of the filler, or even sometimes in the cover, they are generally referring to bamboo infused foam (usually bamboo charcoal). Bamboo charcoal✓ is made from pieces of harvested bamboo plants that have been burned in ovens at very high temperatures (800°- 1200°C).
It is this heating process that turns bamboo into this extremely useful material with millions of pores that can attract and hold a wide range of materials, chemicals, humidity, odours, and harmful substances. Bamboo's natural adsorption (ability to attract) characteristics coupled with an enormous surface area make it an ideal addition to a mattress filler for several reasons (discussed in more detail below).
Benefits Of Sleeping On A Bamboo Mattress
If you are on the hunt for a new mattress, a bamboo mattress could be a good choice for you. This natural material has many benefits, such as its softness and moisture-wicking abilities✓ as a textile and its remarkable ability as a thermoregulator in the form of bamboo charcoal. Here’s a list of the potential benefits a bamboo mattress can provide.
- Thermoregulatory: both bamboo fabric and bamboo charcoal have the ability to create a breathable, cool and dry sleep surface - making a bamboo mattress a great potential choice for hot sleepers.
- Comfort: bamboo fabric provides a soft and static-free sleep surface.
- Odour control: bamboo charcoal has been shown✓ to have excellent odour control qualities.
- Hypoallergenic and antibacterial: there is evidence✓ that bamboo is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than some other materials as well as naturally resist the growth of bacteria.
- Durability: bamboo fibres are said to be long-lasting and durable, however this will be dependent on the other materials and construction of the mattress itself.
- Eco-friendly: bamboo can be more eco-friendly than some other fabrics (more on this later).
Good to know!
The bamboo used to produce charcoal bamboo is usually Moso bamboo and can grow 0.6 metres in a day.
Bamboo Mattress Considerations
Despite all the benefits of a bamboo mattress, there are also some considerations worth noting. They can vary in type and quantity of bamboo, fill and cover material, firmness, design, and construction. Below we’ve listed a few factors you may want to consider before purchasing a bamboo mattress.
- Foam: if the bamboo has been combined with foam filling in the mattress, the type of foam can be important as it can affect factors such as temperature and feel. Open-cell memory foam may be a better choice for hot sleepers as it allows for more breathability than traditional memory foam.
- Firmness: the best firmness will be dependent on a person's sleeping position, weight, and personal preference. A soft mattress may not be ideal for heavy people as it may start to sink and sag causing discomfort - a firmer mattress may be a better option. Similarly, a softer mattress may be best suited to a lighter person. Regarding back pain, it's worth noting that although often recommended, a firmer mattress may not be the solution. Some research✓ shows that using a medium-firm sleep surface for adults with back pain improved sleep quality, pain reduction, and spinal alignment.
- Sleeping position: different sleeping positions may also require different levels of firmness - front and back sleepers may benefit from a firmer bamboo mattress, as they're less likely to sink and have the back arch. Side sleepers are better suited to a softer to medium sleep surface as it can provide cushioning for the hips, knees and shoulders.
- Price: as with all bedding, the price will vary depending on the materials used and construction.
- Quality of materials: bamboo is generally considered a long-lasting, durable material. However, the quality and lifespan of your mattress may come down to the construction and combination of materials used. Some materials compress and sag over time, which will result in reduced support.
- Trial period: Some manufacturers of bamboo mattresses will often offer a free trial period, some up to 100-nights. This is, of course, the best way to ensure you've made the right choice.
Bamboo Mattresses And Sustainability
With environmental issues becoming increasingly prevalent, many people are turning to more sustainable ways of living - whether it be the foods we eat, houses we build or bedding we buy. Bamboo's eco-friendly characteristics appeal to many individuals. However, it's important to be aware that just because you see "bamboo" on the label or in the advertisement, this doesn't mean that manufacturing your dress, pillow, or mattress leaves a zero carbon footprint.
If you do some investigating you'll find that some bamboo manufacturing and processing methods may use harmful chemicals that can impact the environment (solvents dumped as wastewater) or emit volatile gasses (carbon disulfide) that are harmful to factory workers as well as the environment.
However, it is important to note that although there can be harmful environmental consequences due to the processing of bamboo for textiles, there is not only one processing method. And the use of natural fibres will always require the processing of some kind. In addition to its other benefits, bamboo has the following advantages in terms of sustainability.
- Bamboo absorbs carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, and releases over 30% more oxygen into the atmosphere compared to an equivalent mass of trees.
- Cultivation is relatively eco-friendly.
- Compared to other textile crops, bamboo doesn't require as much use of fertilisers or pesticides.
- Bamboo greatly reduces soil erosion.
- It biodegrades easily, and it doesn't require much water relative to growth.
- Bamboo grows back much more quickly than most plants and is a renewable resource.
Interesting to know...
Bamboo is considered mature at approximately 5-7 years.
Ultimately, as consumers, it's important to be as informed as possible, read the labels and make our decisions accordingly. It's worth mentioning that some brands offer mattress disposal services; however, if not, there are several other free and eco-friendly mattress disposal options.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bamboo mattress?
A bamboo mattress is a mattress that generally either has bamboo fabric incorporated into the cover, or it has bamboo infused in the comfort layers, or as part of the filler, most often as bamboo infused foam (usually bamboo charcoal).
How to clean a bamboo mattress?
As bamboo mattresses are usually a combination of materials, each mattress will have a specific set of care instructions which you should always check first. Some bamboo mattresses have removable and washable covers, which will also come with material-specific care instructions.
Where to buy a bamboo mattress?
Bamboo mattresses are available at many furniture and bedding stores, as well as online on websites such as Amazon.