When it comes to making sure we get a good night's sleep, we should ensure that our sleeping environment is at its best. If you're searching for an affordable way to add extra comfort to your mattress, a bamboo mattress topper might be a good solution. Mattress toppers are simply an added layer of comfort and support to help prolong the life of your mattress and create a comfortable surface.
Mattress toppers come in different firmness levels and are made from different materials. Due to its benefits, mattress and homeware brands have started using bamboo to create their products. Bamboo is a popular choice due to its natural origins and cooling properties, which are particularly beneficial when combined with foam.
(Important Facts, Studies, Advice, Considerations & FAQs In Conclusion).
|MATTRESS TOPPER||BAMBOO||TRIAL & WARRANTY||PRICE|
|Panda The Topper||Bamboo Cover||30 Nights|
|RECCI Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Bamboo Cover||30 Nights|
|Dreamzie Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Bamboo Cover||30 Nights|
|NOFFA Bamboo Mattress Topper||Bamboo Cover||NA Nights|
|MSmask Bamboo Charcoal Foam Mattress Topper||Bamboo Infused Foam||30 Nights|
|Subrtex Mattress Topper||Bamboo Cover||NA Nights|
1. Panda Bamboo Memory Foam Mattress Topper
|• Gel-infused foam|
• 10-year guarantee
• Anti-bacterial cover
|• Eco-friendly individuals|
• People with sensitive skin
• Those seeking orthopeadic properties
The Panda Topper is a great option for the environmentally conscious. The brand ensures that all its products are eco-friendly and socially friendly, meaning that the materials are ethically sourced. The topper comes with a thirty-night trial and a ten-year guarantee.
The topper by Panda London comes in various sizes, meaning there should be something for everyone. The topper features a breathable bamboo cover with natural properties that can be a good addition to your sleep environment. Bamboo is known to be anti-bacterial which means you're less likely to experience a build-up of unfriendly bacteria.
You will find gel-infused hydro-foam memory foam within the topper, which is stated to be orthopedically approved. Panda London’s hydro-foam is designed to support your back, hips and neck to ensure your spine stays in perfect alignment. The gel infusions and open-cell structure also help to release heat and help the surface feel cooler.
2. RECCI Bamboo Mattress Topper
|• Open-cell memory foam|
• CertiPUR-EU certified
• Washable cover
|• Hot sleepers |
• Those seeking added comfort
• Sleepers looking for pressure relief
With an affordable price and positive reviews, we have the RECCI Memory Foam Mattress Topper, one of Amazon’s Top Choices. This mattress topper has many five-star reviews from verified customers, with many noting how the topper has helped relieve back pain and general discomfort.
Providing support and comfort, this topper is enveloped by a washable bamboo cover. As a natural material, the bamboo cover is designed to feel soft and silky on the skin. It is a good option for those who have sensitive skin as the cover is also anti-bacterial. In addition, the cover has been made with a special weaving method which allows it to provide a good amount of airflow and breathability.
As a whole, the bamboo mattress topper is CertiPUR-EU, meaning that it does not contain any harsh chemicals, making it gentle for sensitive skin. Finally, inside the mattress topper, we have memory foam that is known to provide extra comfort and helps to relieve pressure points.
3. Dreamzie Bamboo Mattress Topper
|• 5cm thickness|
• Non-slip surface
|• Those with allergies |
• People seeking spinal alignment
• Sleepers looking for breathability
Amazon currently sells the Dreamzie Memory Foam Mattress Topper, which has many top ratings from customers. The topper has 5cm thickness and is designed for all body types and sleep positions. Moreover, the mattress topper is hypoallergenic, anti-bacterial and chemical-free, making it a good option for those with sensitive skin or allergies.
The mattress topper cover is made from viscose bamboo fibre. The bamboo is designed to promote ventilation throughout the night, making it suitable for those who tend to overheat while they sleep. It can absorb moisture and allow for better airflow. The machine-washable cover includes a non-slip surface to keep the topper in place. In addition, the topper also has 4 elastic straps, which can fit mattresses up to 30cm thick and can help to keep them secure.
Memory foam is included within the topper to relieve pressure and add extra comfort. It is designed to contour to your body and promote spinal alignment. In addition, Dreamzie also claims that the memory foam has orthopaedic features.
4. NOFFA Bamboo Mattress Topper
|• Ergonomic foam design |
• Anti-slip layer
• Reflex foam layer
|• Those with a bigger budget |
• Sleepers wanting a secure surface
• Individuals seeking added support
The NOFFA mattress topper consists of memory foam and a bamboo cover. It comes in various sizes and also has a 5-year guarantee. The topper has received many positive reviews on Amazon, with particularly positive feedback for comfort and sleep quality.
The bamboo cover is designed to cool down the surface by being breathable and being able to adapt to different temperatures and seasons. In addition, the cover is also removable and washable. The topper includes an anti-slip layer to prevent unwanted movement, as well as elastic adjustable straps to keep it in place.
Within the topper, NOFFA uses an ergonomic design with its memory foam. This allows the foam to help distribute weight and relieve pressure points. There is also a reflex foam layer which is designed to provide further support. NOFFA also states that the memory foam can adapt to the seasons, becoming firmer in colder weather and softer when it's hot.
5. MSmask Bamboo Charcoal Foam Mattress Topper
|• Bamboo charcoal infusions|
• OEKO-TEX certified
• High-density memory foam
|• People on a budget|
• Heavier individuals
• Sleepers seeking increased airflow
MSmask is offering their affordable Bamboo Charcoal Foam Mattress Topper, which consists of high-density memory foam with bamboo charcoal infusions. The topper comes with a 3-year warranty and a 30-day return policy. Additionally, the topper is certified by CertiPUR-EU and OEKO-TEX for safety and durability.
The infused bamboo charcoal is designed to help the foam be more breathable by regulating moisture and creating airflow. In addition, it can also help regulate any unwanted odours. Due to its natural properties, the bamboo is also hypoallergenic and therefore good for those with sensitive skin.
The foam itself is designed to mould to the body shape and support the spine's natural curve. The topper has also been built with enough support to try and prevent sinking and to help the sleeper avoid back pain. MSmask advises that you ventilate the topper for up to 2 days before use to allow it to expand fully.
6. Subrtex Mattress Topper Bamboo Cover
|• Gel-infused memory foam|
• Hypoallergenic cover
• Anti-slip mesh backing
|• Those who sleep hot|
• Sleepers seeking pressure relief
• People with sensitive skin
Consisting of strong support and cooling properties, the Subrtex 3 Inch Mattress Topper has plenty of positive reviews, with customers pointing out its softness and quality. The topper comes in a variety of different sizes, with the added option to choose the thickness of the memory foam.
The mattress topper cover is made from bamboo and is designed to enhance breathability and temperature regulation. There is also an anti-slip mesh backing to keep the cover in place. Moreover, the washable cover has hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial properties.
The topper is made from gel-infused memory foam, which is made to be pressure relieving and great for sore joints, muscles and bones. The foam is also designed with ventilation holes which means the air is designed to flow much easier as you sleep. The topper is also designed to give added support whilst maintaining comfort.
Defining A Bamboo Mattress Topper
A mattress topper is placed on top of a mattress and can provide extra support, comfort and protection. A topper is categorised as a bamboo mattress topper if the cover is made using bamboo fabric or if the foam has been infused with bamboo.
A bamboo mattress topper can range from £50 to £100 for a single size in terms of pricing. The price can depend on factors such as thickness, brand and other layers, such as memory foam. It’s also worth noting that if bamboo has been infused with foam, it’s more likely to release VOCs (volatile organic compounds) when off-gassing - although this odour is often short-lived and temporary.
The Origins Of Bamboo
Bamboo comes from the Poaceae family of plants and is technically regarded as a type of grass. Bamboo can grow almost anywhere globally, especially in warmer climates, but is believed to have originated from China. Despite bamboo being primarily used across the Eastern hemisphere for centuries, it started to receive more attention by the Western hemisphere in the 1920s, as it was began being studied in more depth.
Nowadays, the popularity of bamboo is increasing worldwide due to its sustainable origins and how versatile it can be, as is demonstrated in the wide variety of bamboo products available. These bamboo products include clothing, stationery, musical instruments, toothbrushes and, of course, bedding and mattresses.
The bamboo industry is thriving in China; as of 2018, there was an estimated 6.5 million hectares of bamboo forests, with a total output value of USD 39.6 billion.
Benefits Of A Bamboo Mattress Topper
If you are seeking extra comfort for your mattress, a bamboo mattress topper can offer this and more. This natural material has many benefits; however, it’s worth noting that factors such as thickness and layering can impact how the topper feels for each individual. Here’s a list of the potential benefits a bamboo mattress topper can provide.
- Comfort: It’s common for bamboo to be infused with memory foam to create the mattress topper. The combination of bamboo and foam can provide pressure relief, cushioning and an overall soft feel.
- Cooling: Bamboo is known for its temperature regulating properties and can help to cool down the surface of your mattress. Upon testing bamboo fabric, studies✓ have found that it makes for excellent summer clothing due to its low thermal conductivity.
- Environment: Due to its natural sources, bamboo can be a more eco-friendly option compared with other materials. Bamboo grows very fast and is therefore highly renewable.
- Allergies: Bamboo is known to be hypoallergenic, as well as being antibacterial and antimicrobial. This should appeal to people with allergies or individuals with sensitive skin.
- Durability: Bamboo fibres are said to be long-lasting and durable. However, it’s worth noting that when combined with foam, the durability may not be as effective as foam can be prone to sagging, depending on the density.
Bamboo Mattress Topper Considerations
Despite all the benefits of a bamboo mattress topper, there are also some considerations worth noting. Since every individual is different, it can be important to do your research to ensure that the topper you choose will benefit you as a sleeper.
- Foam: If the bamboo has been combined with foam, the type of foam can be important as it can affect factors such as temperature and feel. Open-cell memory foam is preferable among many as it allows for more breathability than traditional memory foam.
- Firmness: A firm mattress topper may provide added support and can be a good option for those suffering from back pain. A softer mattress topper may not be ideal for front or back sleepers as it could be prone to sinking and cause the back to arch.
- Size: Before purchasing your bamboo mattress topper, make sure to check the size of the mattress so it fits nicely without spilling off the edges. If you share a bed with a partner, you could also get 2 single mattress toppers to match your different preferences.
- Hygiene: If you’re concerned about cleanliness, it’s recommended to check if the bamboo mattress topper has a removable cover and if its machine washable. Some mattress toppers may also be antibacterial or have special treatments to drive away any dust mites.
- Trial Period: Most bamboo mattress toppers will offer a free trial period, often from between 30 - 100 nights. If you feel like you need more time to test the mattress, you may be better off choosing a longer trial time. It’s also worth checking the warranty, which can range from 1 to 10 years.
Did you know?
A study✓ found that the inclusion of bamboo chips in polyurethane foam helped with sound absorption.
Sustainability Of Bamboo Mattress Toppers
With environmental issues becoming increasingly more prevalent, many people are turning to more sustainable materials and products. Research✓ has found that bamboo has many benefits, such as its soft feel and moisture-wicking abilities. However, its bamboo’s eco-friendly properties that appeal to many individuals.
When compared to other materials, bamboo doesn’t require large amounts of water to grow. It can also take in more CO2 and produce more oxygen than other hardwood trees. Whatsmore, an average tree can typically take at least 60 years to mature completely, whereas bamboo generally takes about 60 days, meaning bamboo is highly renewable.
In general, the production of bamboo leaves a smaller carbon footprint compared to other materials. However, with that being said, it's worth checking if the bamboo has been produced organically, as some mattress companies may use added chemicals during the production and manufacturing process.
Purchasing a bamboo mattress topper means placing it over your existing mattress. For this reason, it's worth considering how compatible the topper can be with your current mattress type and how it could benefit your quality of sleep.
- Memory Foam: These mattresses are popular amongst many for their cushioning abilities and soft feel. A downside to memory foam mattresses is that they tend to sleep hot; therefore, a bamboo mattress topper may help to cool the surface down. Despite this, if the bamboo topper is infused with memory foam, the large amounts of foam may cause sagging, especially for heavy people.
- Pocket Sprung: Mattresses containing layers of springs and coils tend to sleep cooler as the air is able to flow throughout the springs. However, pocket sprung mattresses tend to be firmer, so a bamboo topper can help to add an extra layer of comfort and cushion to a firm mattress.
- Latex: Since latex and bamboo both have natural origins, they tend to be a good be a good option for those who prefer natural materials. Latex mattresses, like bamboo, also tend to be beneficial for those with allergies as theres often less chemicals used.
- Hybrid: A hybrid mattress combines both foam and springs within its layers. If there are more springs in the mattress, a foam topper with bamboo infusions could be a good option as the cushioning can balance out the firmness.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bamboo mattress topper?
A bamboo mattress topper is a thick foam layer with a bamboo cover or bamboo infusions. It is designed to place on top of the mattress and can provide extra comfort and support.
What is a bamboo charcoal memory foam mattress topper?
Bamboo charcoal is formed after harvesting and burning the bamboo at high temperatures. The bamboo charcoal can then be infused into memory foam and can help with temperature regulation and eliminating odours.
Why a bamboo mattress topper?
Many people choose a bamboo mattress topper as they are known for their cooling properties, as well as being more eco-friendly when compared to other materials.